<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

HELP!! I'M BEING SMOTHERED...... 

Somebody call 911, I can’t move around the “stuff” in our 14X65 mobile home. Every room is bulging with packages arriving every day…..I hardly get one UPS delivery unpacked before they come back again. It’s very special this year with everyone coming home……in batches…..so I won’t have to mail out. This year my packages are coming FROM the Post Office and UPS instead of me trying to mail in the rush.

I breezed by the P.O. yesterday and saw cars everywhere with people lugging in boxes of every size and description. I have to say I startled people with my cheery smile and hearty “hello”……I purposely smiled at everyone in WalMart and gave them a nod and a greeting. They pried their eyes away from the coffee shelves to see who was speaking to them…I tried it down the pickle and spice isle….on to the cereal isle.

My experiment had a purpose. Try to “lighten up” the scowls on the harried shoppers. I know shopping for five or six kids can’t be easy or worse yet….cheap. Maybe a smile from a stranger or a simple sentence will help. Shoppers at grocery stores normally do not look you in the eye….they play like they are invisible and move past. I decided all by my self to make a difference. If not, at least I enjoyed the effort.

It’s Christmas time so let’s take heart in the things that always promise a happy ending. We know the temporary effort that comes along with it and if we don’t focus on the preparation too much we can still rejoice in the best part of Christmas…..which is the birthday celebration honoring the birth of our Savior. I know it isn’t the right day and time and I don’t care. A time is set apart to let love overflow all over the place and make people happy with the right things. Gratitude, generosity, honor and hospitality are just a few of the benefits along with priceless memories.

I love the Grinch Who Stole Christmas…..I make it a point to watch every year. The part I like best is his change of heart as it keeps bumping and thumping inside him and overflows beyond imagination. Christmas is always like that for me. It’s a time to bury the old resolves of things not done, disappointments within our selves and just decide to make everyone else happy.

Of course, once that happens you find you are happy too……that’s just the funny way it works……………….

Essentially Esther