<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

THROUGH MY WINDOWS..... 

A neighborhood is made up of many small insignificant things. The sound of the UPS truck coming down the street, the lights in the house across from you coming on at dusk…..the drone of a lawnmower, leaf blower.. ……the cars that come and go from each home on the block. There is one vehicle that goes up and down our street and I’ve always called him “the tank man.” I can pick him out by the way he mashes on the accelerator. I usually hear him going to work late in the afternoon and coming back when I am eating breakfast.

A weekly event is the garbage truck coming on Tuesday to pick up whatever is at the curb. I usually watch for him because it’s fun to see what he picks out to save. I don’t know why I should wonder…..I just do. On Tuesday mornings while I listen to the news and have my second cup of coffee it is an event. I’m not ashamed of talking about such ordinary things……people who live alone find many ways to make their day have meaning, or maybe it’s just me. I like simple things and do not count it wrong to enjoy the day.

This morning I watched a wren at the bird feeder and admired his nifty feather suit he was wearing. It’s amazing what you can see just having coffee and watching the bird feeders. I think birds are very social minded and very hard working. You don’t see a bird who isn’t working hard to feed his family. Mom and dad both take it seriously as they train their fledglings to avoid cats and well they might. I’m sorry to say I can’t save them all.

The last few days I have enjoyed watching the leaves fall. They make such pretty motions on their way down……it’s delightful to watch them. Although I did get the outer windows cleaned with an attachment to the hose, I still have the insides to wash. I figure there are days coming when I will find it to be fun and I should wait for that to happen. I love to do things when I’m in the mood and now that I’m older I don’t wear myself thin worrying about dirty windows. There will always be dirty windows……I know that now.

I am so thankful I live in a small town without a WalMart. We are little because the town fathers never wanted progress. Thirty -six years ago it irritated me that we had to drive to another town to shop…it was a necessity if you wanted good prices. Now that I’m old, I’m grateful. We don’t have a lot of traffic and confusion running amuck like the town I shop in. In fact, I find being older cures a whole lot of bad ideas I used to have.

I miss the dogs barking next door since our neighbors moved. Badger was a big old dog full of dead hair and who knows what…..he learned to watch for me so I could talk things over with him. Daisy was a small wire haired terrier who was a little busy body. She ran to the sides of the outer buildings to search for little critters. She was always on the hunt…..and very noisy.

Daisy and Badger are gone now and it is quiet. Mandy still runs to the fence to look for them but they are not there. She waits, while searching with her eyes over the yard but no one comes to pass the time of day. Finally, she gives up and goes on about her morning routine.

I hope the next people who move in have a dog or two. Barking dogs annoy some folks but I find it pleasant. They are just interested and want to talk or have a little attention. Sunday night the U-Haul pulled out of the driveway and Badger and Daisy are gone now.

Part of the neighborhood has gone silent in their absence……….

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther