<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, November 05, 2007

CHANGING TIMES..... 

As you can imagine once I brought Punkin home it took up my time over the week-end. When I carried her in the house with the carrying crate Sassy took off for the bedroom and wouldn’t come out. The rest of the weekend she was pretty much in denial about another kitty moving in.

Punkin was tired from the anesthesia and slept on the couch a lot. Mandy enjoyed sleeping in Rocky’s chair and wasn’t bothered at all. Watching the three house pets was quite entertaining……yesterday was the first day that Sassy decided to join the household. This morning I took Punkin back to the Vet to check out her paws and incision……I decided to use my time wisely until I go after her.

We had another event in the neighborhood while all this was going on. The neighbors who lived next to us brought in a huge U-Haul and a steady parade of household goods began coming from the house to the truck. The area we live in is difficult to find work, especially if you aren’t a native. If you’ve lived here a long time and are “known” you can find work but it doesn’t pay anything like wages in the northern states.

As in many parts of the country there is “old school” and “new school”…..sometimes it just doesn’t work with the expectations. While I have lived in the same spot for thirty-six years, there have been six different families move in next door. It is always sad to see them move out because you can just look at a house and tell it is empty. We also lost the couple next to them. They built the house and were there before we moved in but they preferred living with more privacy. They left last month to put a mobile home on his father’s farm.

I had a hard time adjusting to new property going in across the road but my practical side took over. In no way do I want to move again. It has taken all these years to grow trees, the flowering shrubs or starts from my mother’s garden. I am too old to want to move again……I do not crave a larger home or a better looking yard. This is the house where my memories are….a lot of living has gone on here in thirty-six years.

I cared for two husbands who valiantly tried to beat cancer here. They died in our home and I will never leave. Growing older is an art and if you do it right there are no regrets. Since we can’t go back and erase different things here and there it is imperative to make sure you aren’t setting up regrets for the future. I’ve made my share and it is a work in progress to make each day memorable ……..with the “right stuff.”

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther