<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, November 29, 2007

CAN LEAVES REALLY TALK? 

…………………..yes they do. I heard them the other day. I heard them say they are jealous of the birds who fly into their tree and fly away. One of them told the other one it had always been his dream to fly like the birds from branch to branch instead of just staying in one place all the time.

The other one thought for a while……and then said, “I have always been afraid of falling. I heard some of the leaves say that when they come loose from the branch they fall down, they don’t fly at all. The older ones who have talked with the Maker of Trees said we will all come down because He needs us for another purpose. He said we would be part of the soil that holds the whole tree up. Can you imagine………. hold the whole tree up? Wow, that IS important.”

They were silent for several minutes, watching other leaves leave the branches in their neighborhood……then the first leaf said, “I know you are afraid of falling but just take my hand when the next breeze stirs through our tree and we’ll go down together.” After a while, the second leaf held out his hand and I swear, I saw him put some goggles on.

He gave a red scarf to his friend and said, “I saw a plane go over once and the pilot was wearing goggles and a red scarf……he was having so much fun I wanted the same. I won’t be so afraid of falling if we hold hands and go together.” In their excitement they did just that. They floated and fluttered and circled around in the air for some time, coming to rest on a path.

A little boy came walking by some time later and noticed the bright red on one leaf that was fastened to another leaf. He looked closer and saw a tiny pair of goggles on the other one. He held them for some time and as children do, he understood perfectly what had happened. He laid them carefully under the large tree they came from and left them there.

The two leaves talked for some time about their big adventure and how things look so different on the ground. While they were talking excitedly a soft snow began falling in the woods……a full moon came up to turn the snow into glistening diamonds.

The little leaves each took a blanket of snow and snuggled in for their next big adventure……holding up the tree they called “home.”

Now I know adults are skeptics and don’t “believe” but I do know that children will understand my story and in the Spring will find soft dirt around the bottom of the tree……and if they look close enough they will see a little pair of goggles and a red scarf…..

Essentially Esther