<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, October 18, 2007

WEATHERMEN PLACE YOUR BETS..... 

I have concluded that weathermen are in a class by themselves. It takes someone special to be that interested in cloud patterns, jet streams, highs and lows and anything else the weather might do. “Might” being the operative word here. The station I get my weather from has three guys who make the weather sound so interesting I look forward to their forecasts.

No matter what the individual’s personality is defined as…..one thing for sure is, they love to predict the weather. I can imagine an adrenalin rush when they predict the big ones and the weather co-operates and comes in on time.

We are warned ahead for serious minded weather which may or may not happen. When rain is needed, our weather boys become paranoid from the general public’s cries and complaints. After all, they don’t make the weather, they just try their best to prognosticate for the rest of us.

Yesterday every channel I turned to warned of very severe weather with high wind, wind sheers, tornadoes and flooding from heavy rain. It wasn’t just local stations but the entire mid-west had weather warnings so I took a few precautions.

When you live in a mobile home you can run but you can’t hide. I went to bed and slept blissfully until around 11:00 when lightening flashes woke me with sharp thunder. I heard rain and twigs hitting the outside of the mobile home and then I heard the wind. It was frighteningly scary. You could hear it approaching through the trees with the power and surges of an oncoming freight train.

We were buffeted with fury for a few minutes and then as quickly as it came, it left. I could have heard a pin drop. I could imagine the boys at their post in the TV station doing high fives because they got another one right. This morning I woke to Becky standing over me in the dark with a flashlight……. “Mom, we’ve had a bad storm, there are trees down in our yards, I came to see if you’re all right.”

I woke quickly upon the urgency in her voice and it was too dark to see much so I made coffee and we waited until it was light enough to look around. Sad to say, my beautiful Bartlett pear tree in the back yard was split in two, right down the middle. It has always been a favorite place for the birds to come and go in our yard. Other than a large branch from an oak in back we were OK here.

Becky had two large pines uprooted. One on top of her car and the garage, the other in the back yard. The insurance adjuster will come tomorrow. We are thankful that is all the damage….thankful we are here to tell about it. And now I must go out and begin raking up the debris it left. The yard is covered with twigs, leaves and branches. So until the next time, I am,

Essentially Esther