<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, October 29, 2007

STOLEN JOYS..... 

Of the four stray cats who travel between Becky’s place and mine, one little cat has decided she belongs with me. She was left by a family who moved out of our neighborhood and starvation made her wander where I fed Napoleon and the other strays. Cats with their territorial rights make life hard for little “Punkin.”

I soon realized the only way she could get enough to eat, I’d have to put my three garage cats in before I tried to feed Punkin. Two male cats and one other timid little female passes by every evening for a handout. The males dominate the females and they can only eat when the males had eaten and left.

I decided to up the count on bowels and feed and sometimes there are three or four cats eating where Napoleon has always claimed as “his” place. When they all come at once it makes for a strange alliance but it seems to work.

This morning I was working in the kitchen and had the door open for fresh air. When I passed by the door, later, little Punkin was making her way slowly to the berm where Rocky’s miracle Japanese Maple is and carefully settled down in the sun. I watched her joy of the warmth and sunshine she doesn’t get to enjoy very long. She stays under the house for safety and only comes out occasionally.

I stood watching as she soaked up the sun, blinking her eyes now and then and closing them with obvious pleasure. I knew it would be short lived as the other cats patrol the area and pounce on her the minute she is noticed. I took the moment to give her some feed, at least she wouldn’t have to go back under the house on an empty tummy. Sure enough, Chevy spotted her and I tried to put Punkin under the house but she tried to defend herself.

After a few warning growls (which didn’t scare Chevy) she made a break for it and ran under the house. I feel so sad for little critters that are dumped out or left…..especially when they are too small to forage for themselves.

It’s a mighty cruel world even when good provision rules. It is only going to be a little while until I weaken and take her to the Vet to be spayed, get her shots and physical. I think little Sassy would like another cat for company and it’s the only way I can make sure Punkin’s needs are taken care of.

No matter how hard I try I can’t keep from taking in one more cat…..one more cat…..one more cat. I suppose I understand them so well that S.O.S. signals bring them right to me. As hungry as little Punkin is she is more starved for love. She twines around my ankles, rubbing my feet, and never turns down being picked up and hugged. On the other hand, God knows I need a lot of love too so I think He sends angels in the form of kitties to bring pleasure to “my” life…..and they really and truly do!!

Essentially Esther