<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

PUNKIN' THE HALLOWEEN CAT..... 

Well the debate knocking around in my brain is over. I was like an alcoholic who knew they shouldn’t take that next drink but they are reaching for it. Little Punkin’ is at the Vet ready for surgery tomorrow, claws removed, complete physical, bath, shots…..the whole nine yards.

I have been standing at the front door for two weeks worrying about her. The outside cats (my three and the three strays) kept chasing her off and making her life miserable. She tried to defend herself and her valiant efforts were always over-powered by bigger and more experienced cats. She had no one to take her part except me.

There is something about a lost, hungry little cat that tears my insides up. If you have ever been on your own without a lot going for you…….you can readily see what a stray is up against. With winter coming her hopes were down to few and nothing. She needed an advocate and I stepped up to the task.

It is going to be expensive to have her spayed, front claws taken off, all her shots, bathed and tests run, plus more food and the yearly shots. I know about the fur that will fly when I bring her home and let Sassy take one look at the new arrival. I have babied Sassy to the point she thinks my every thought is for her. I’m hoping the fact Punkin’ is little might bring out a maternal instinct from Sassy but even I am doubtful about that.

Knowing the commitment factor I am creating is what has been making it hard to take the plunge but today when I looked in those little eyes I couldn’t disappoint her trust. She was so needy but she never begged. How do I know that? I just do. She wanted to give the love she had to someone who would understand and provide the same for her.

You won’t believe this but I thought I saw Rocky standing there smiling when he saw me pick her up to take her to the Vet. He would have done the same……he was a sucker for someone like Punkin’……after we were married, he coaxed Callie up to the deck and she became tame, then he brought Sassy home from work one day with a sore paw, next was Chevy……the one we saved at the car dealership….lastly, here came Lovey.

If I keep on taking in kitties, this will be the biggest “cat house’ in Missouri…..but if we each do something to make something or someone happy, it is the greatest gift I know. Trust is a word worthy to live for.

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther