<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

HANG IN THERE..... 

I realize I haven’t written since our bad storm last week but I can assure you I’ve been putting in my time since then. Becky’s pictures made a much better impact of what the storm did….. “a picture, you know”…..words couldn’t begin to tell what a fright and damage it was.

I began with the insurance man ASAP….they had to call an adjuster 20 miles away and he wouldn’t be able to come until the next day……busy, you know. Of course. Makes me wonder how fast they could come if I wanted to buy more insurance. (Sour grapes….you got it!)

Well, he came and I got the new updated version of help for damages. My huge Bradford Pear tree in the back was the first thing not considered. “Wind” was not in my policy unless the tree had fallen on a structure. It fell on my clothesline but I couldn’t get enough out of it to warrant a “pay off”……..the clothesline and tree removal didn’t surpass my $250 deductible. The fact it was a prize ornamental tree and the pride of my yard was, let me see……what did he say?……oh yes, he was sorry my estimate didn’t allow for damage here.

He left and went to Becky’s where I was sure I would recoup what I didn’t get on my property. He was gone for some time and when he came back he couldn’t pay anything on Becky’s car that was pinned under a huge pine with the top half on the garage roof. He said it had been “salvaged” from hail damage a few years ago…….so that took care of that. Her mobile home wasn’t hurt and the only thing he could pay for was roof repair on the garage. After he took off the deductible from that, it left $600 to repair the roof. So long and thank you for coming.

I took Becky’s car down to be repaired and the man I’ve done business with a few times gave me a very good price. It will be fixed on Thursday and until then she can drive mine to work. I gave my grandson a check for tree removal (that has been his occupation for 12 years. He works for Arkansas Electric and is good at what he does.) There are two trees to finish up and he will be done.

I will deal with the garage roof as soon as I find someone to fix it. Coming into the house with armloads of groceries yesterday, the cat and dog met me at the door doing little whirly-gigs and our feet got all tangled up causing me to fall like a hammer to the floor. As I was falling, Mandy and Sassy were scared out of their wits and tried to jump through me to get to safety………in the process, I ended up with deep scratches on my right cheek, neck and shoulder. I did the normal things to stop the bleeding and swelling……then I cleaned the scratches and put medication on them.

Every day brings some kind of surprise. When you’re a senior it just makes sense to hang loose……it can always be worse!

Essentially Esther