<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

THE BROKEN CHAIN..... 

Sixteen years ago we buried my mother on this date. We didn’t want to bury her on Halloween but we had to for family members who wouldn’t be able to come sooner. Sometimes we do things differently than we want for very good reasons.

I am not alone in losing loved ones. Many of you out there have walked the halls of sorrow and it is a lonely walk. With the many words people mean for comfort the heart just can’t take them in. Rather it seems to make the loss greater. I am not criticizing for at times I’ve said the same cliché’s……but over the years I’ve stopped saying, “I know how you feel or they are not suffering anymore. All things happen for good…..if you need anything, just call…it will get better in time.”

After years of trying to offer sympathy to others I began to lose family members of my own. I was hearing what I’d been saying and it made me realize how shallow some of that sounds on the receiving end. The truth of the matter is this, no matter how sincere we may be….when we don’t know what to say, we should not say anything.

A hug with a pat on the back speaks volumes. Holding hands is very comforting. It is not a time for questions, or advice or to need solace from the grieving person. Give them the courtesy of not having to think or respond in any way. Silence is the gift of grief.

Of all the many verses received when Rocky died, there are a few that stood out and were actually comforting. I would like to share one of my favorites, with you.

THE BROKEN CHAIN

We little knew that morning that God was going to call your name,
In life we loved you dearly, in death we do the same.
It broke our hearts to lose you, you did not go alone;
For part of us went with you, the day God called you home,
You left us peaceful memories, your love is still our guide
And though we cannot see you, you are always at our side.
Our family chain is broken, and nothing seems the same
But as God calls us one by one, the CHAIN will link again.

I have no name to offer for this verse, the writer remains unknown. I hope when you need comfort it will speak to you as it has to me…..and whoever penned the verse is blessed as those who read their thoughts.

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther