<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, September 14, 2007

WINDING UP THE WEEK..... 

It is a beautiful day in Smalltown. Canada has been sending some of their excess cool air our way and the sky is beautiful. I enjoyed sitting on the deck for a while this morning before I got involved in anything major.

The last two days I have exchanged sets of dishes from garage to house and then reversed the process. I am clearing out the excess I have accumulated. One would think dishes were going to be rationed if they could see the full cupboards and pantry in the garage. It is a source of joy for me to organize the cupboards and change the dishes to match the season.

I’ve been listening to these “make over” shows about everything from homes to clothing. The battle cry is, “You have too much…..your space/closet is overloaded and this may hurt but we’re going to get rid of the clutter.” As I watch women hanging onto favorite old tee shirts or some atrocious outfit they think they look good in, I see myself. With me, it is always how much I paid for something that holds me back. Now maybe if someone gave me $5000 like they do on “What Not To Wear” I might be able to let go of my closet. In my next life……..

Today being Friday, it is the day to finish everything I didn’t get done for the week. Usually there are four or five things that need an hour or so and then I’m ready for Miss Becky to come for pizza. Friday night is always the same here….pizza! We can relax and plan the weekend and talk over the past week. Since we are both alone it’s nice for each of us to have the other.

Yesterday flew by before I could turn around. I did the usual morning jobs and was about ready for lunch when the Sergeant I worked under as a Driver Examiner dropped by. It is always nice to talk over old times with a former compadre and a chance to share news of other folks we worked with. When retired, you leave a large part of your life with people you’ve worked with for many years……ours was a family kind of atmosphere because there is never a big turnover in the D.E.

After lunch I drove to the next town up the line and visited the friend I used to have over once a week for lunch and a visit. She now lives in an assisted living complex and is very happy with her new surroundings. Of course we chatted about home-town folks and traded news of mutual friends. From her window I could see the male employees pouring brickets into a huge grille and Opal said they were having a cook-out for the evening meal. Chicken and hamburgers. That would make for a nice social time for the residents.

When Becky came home we walked up the lane and visited some neighbors who lost their youngest daughter in a fatal car crash last week. We have known the family since my children were very young and played with their children when we came to visit my mother and dad during the summer. Later, when Warren and I moved here we were just down the road from them with my folks in between. We have always been close and cannot imagine the pain they are dealing with.

She leaves her husband, three grown children and one grandchild. Her parents and married siblings live nearby. We had a nice visit recalling old times back when life seemed simpler……in a small town like ours everyone feels the other’s joys and sorrows as their own.

It seems we have all lost a lot here lately but I know God is able to take pain and sorrow away and replace it with His peace and grace. He is never early or late and will supply comfort for all our needs.

If the need is great, He is greater……..always.

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther