<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, September 27, 2007

SOME FAVORITE THINGS..... 

After sitting most of the day looking through photo albums for a project I decided to take a break and sit outside. I invariably look at the sky for I love to see the clouds changing and though I am not a child anymore, I still like to see all kinds of shapes floating overhead.

Rocky and I used to sit on the deck and “cloud watch”……..sometime mid-afternoon he usually went out to sit quietly and watch the birds, hummingbirds, squirrels….even butterflies. Later, when I joined him, he would have a lot of observances to tell me.

You know, love and companionship come in so many different packages. There were many things I loved about Rocky and one thing in particular was his love of nature. I was raised by parents who respected nature and didn’t like to mess it up. I learned many things about plants, animals and how to respect and help my surroundings.

You’ve heard you can take the boy out of the country but you can’t take the country out of the boy……that was basic Rocky. He and I were observers when riding in a car. We didn’t have to have the radio blaring or a TV or read while riding….the landscape was interesting enough. Even on familiar roads there are always changes in the scenery.

We loved seeing the calves born in early Spring and watch them as we passed from Spring to Summer and then Fall. The little guys would never stray from their mothers until they began to find playmates and then be in a group with one designated mother cow to watch them.

There were lambs with springs in their feet, playful and active………wild flowers blooming by the side of the road…..simple common things that just make you feel good to see them. Last Fall sitting on the deck we were treated to a large “fly-over” of Mammoth Butterflies. I guess they got flight clearance for their long flight to Central and South America. We were amazed how high they could fly and spent a good deal of time just watching the endless procession.

As a child I loved special days. Birthdays and holidays were always favorites of mine. Now that I am in my senior years I find I like common days. Common days are the ones most remembered by me…….sitting on the deck watching butterflies fly South or watching squirrels building a nest, rabbits hopping across the yard…….Rocky and I enjoyed the quiet days when we were alone on our little acre and enjoyed whatever amusement nature dished up for the day.

Last night at bedtime we had a good old fashioned rain with lots of thunder and lightening. The rain beat against the house and it hasn’t done that all summer. I love to read, knit or sleep when there’s a good storm going on. This morning the world was washed all new and clean and the sky is practicing for October……it is the bluest it has been since last October. Along with the extreme blue were big puffy white clouds dancing along the line of vision I could see from under the trees.

The world, though tired she may be, is still a beautiful place if you look for her beauty……and when I am quiet and wait…….I hear the music of angels and the laughter of my loved ones……and on a very good day I feel Rocky is still sitting beside me…………..

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther