<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, September 10, 2007

A NICE WEEKEND..... 

Well we had a very nice weekend here in Smalltown. I woke up to the smell of coffee and Becky sitting in the living room watching TV Saturday morning. We had a couple of waffles for breakfast and sat and enjoyed the rain that pattered down all day. It’s been a long time since we had a good rain and we felt we should take it in.

Jonathan, Becky’s son, came mid afternoon to bury poor Morris. If you remember, he died the same day Rocky did. It was too hectic and the weather was rainy that day also……we decided we couldn’t deal with digging his grave as we needed to be with Rocky.

Although it sounds gross (and for good reason) we wrapped him in a towel, then layers of plastic bags and put him in the freezer until we could bury him properly. With everything else going on around here we never got to it and when Jonathan offered his services I took him up on it. I’ll have to admit it bothered me but I’ve had worse to deal with so tough times call for tough measures. Now Morris has had a good burial and I don’t cringe every time I open the large freezer in the garage.

I was surprised by a visit from our former pastor and wife who were on their way home to Illinois. It had been several years since we’d seen them and what a blessing it was to catch up with each other. Needless to say there have been a lot of changes for all of us. It turns out that they live fairly close to where my cousin Dale lived so it’s a small world after all. Roger and Beth are very special to our family.

Becky and Jonathan came to visit a little before they went to bury Morris and try to get a skunk out of Becky’s garage. 1t ended up making the whole neighborhood smell like skunk and Jonathan had to wait until the next day to finish the job. It will be some time before his clothing loses the bad odor, I’m sure.

Sunday was a good day for football fans with lots of action and some surprises. It’s going to be quite a season and I’ll be watching Brett Favre every chance I get. He is my all time favorite.

I thought about Curtis quite a bit. I know his home must seem very empty without his “sweetie pie.” I can empathize with him……it isn’t and never will be the same…….but there are many good reasons to keep looking for ways to make life worth while. There will be a glad reunion some day for all of us who have lost loved ones………so we just have to keep on keeping on, as they say.

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther