<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

FROM CATS TO POLE-CATS..... 

Lately I have been spending a lot of time feeding cats. I have three adopted outdoor kitties that came to us one by one. Callie, Chevy and Lovey. Then I have one inside cat named Sassy. We have had a routine every since they came here and we all understand that.

The three outdoor kitties come to the garage, which is their home, each day about 4:30. They are talked to and petted….then fed and locked in for the night. We are all happy with that. Then there is Sassy who is always in the house because we had her front claws taken out and we want to protect her. At times she tries to speed out the door when it’s open because lately she has been seeing a lot of cats hanging around and she wants to know why.

First there was who we call “old yeller” because he’s old, grumpy and hisses at anything that moves……even Becky or me when we feed him. He usually divides his dinner and breakfast between the two of us and is very demanding and ungrateful. However, we patronize him because of his age.

Then we had a pretty light gray and white female, half-grown who divided her time between us as well. In the beginning she was flighty and scared but now she comes timidly and waits like a lady until you pour her food. Then she waits until you are in the house before she eats. There is a coal black male, a gray striped male with white feet and my favorite…..Punkin’ She is a love. Very tiny, and earned her name because she looks like some kind of animal print, all black and orangey like Halloween. She is the picture of a lost, starving, and pitiful little character.

It took me weeks to earn her trust and one evening she hesitated when I put my hand out towards her. She had been eating regularly for about two weeks but only when I was out of sight. The few steps of faith she took to come towards me and let me touch her was wonderful. She was so starved for love she would ignore her food until I came inside……then she ate slowly, staying watchful all the while.

From seeing them at a distance to seeing them at the edge of the yard to finally have them come close when we feed is so rewarding. They have learned I can be trusted, that I will not hurt them, that I will love them and feed them and they can depend on me. To earn their trust takes time and all the little strays come one by one to eat on the front sidewalk……respecting each other and giving one another space.

Then there are the pole-cats. Becky and I noticed several weeks ago there were two small skunks eating at my feeder after dark. They were even brave enough to come to her feeding area while it was still daylight. I know they are a nuisance but they don’t bother me and I give them a wide range to come and go.

I have loved cats since I was a young girl. My efforts to save kitties is much like God feels for us. He has all the answers and can supply our every need……all we have to do is allow Him to take charge. He respects us enough to wait for us to ask.

I think my fascination with cats is much like my Father’s with me. They give me pleasure, I enjoy watching them, I like providing their needs and I see the fearless affection they have in turn, for me. Being fearful and lost is a terrible feeling. My missionary efforts are not of a grand scale and after all…..only for cats….but my Bible reads, “Inasmuch as you have done it for the least of these, you have done it unto me.” I think that means cats as well.

If you have ever been hungry, lost or scared you understand my reasoning. We are all God’s creatures and need to help each other whenever we can. Even if it’s just saving cats……………….

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther