<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, September 03, 2007

BIG IDEAS..... 

How many of you watch “Flip This House?” It is one of Becky’s favorite TV shows and she has me hooked on that and “What Not to Wear.” Since she has become my weekend and after-work companion I have watched so many of those shows with her I am beginning to glance around the house and my clothes closet with a jaundiced eye.

I am basically an activist once a new idea hits me. I decided to start at one end of the house and work back. My kitchen is overstocked and running over. I changed from Country to Victorian with the last change-over so a lot of decorations went bye-bye at the time but I’m such a collector that I once again am running out of comfortable space. If only I could be content with the way things are I wouldn’t always be in a state of flux. However, since I am a dead center Gemini I will always be making changes. It’s something a Gemini must do to stay enthusiastic about life.

Now that I am an authority on home improvement and clothing I must discard and start over. Everything I have is not the right color, fit, in style or complimentary to the “new me” I am working towards. Becky has gagged for years at my white pants, with shoes, top and purse in a striking color. Red, black, navy…..pastels, whatever. She made comments like, “It must be a generational thing. Every woman your age seems to think that is tantamount to style. I wish you’d give up the white pants.”

I never noticed before but every time I make a trip to WalMart (the clothing Mecca for retired folks) I had to admit she was right. Every woman my age was strutting in white pants, colored shoes, bag and top. I decided maybe I should give Becky a little of my listening time. However, I discovered it wasn’t all brilliance on her part…..after watching the re-runs of What Not To Wear I began to see a lot of what I wear being thrown into the metal garbage can with total distain.

I could identify with the weeping women wanting to hang on to the comfortable and sentimental clothing being tossed. However, after the very serious make-over with hair and make-up perfected, I had to agree the change was indeed for the better. I also think having fewer clothes is better because most of us gals only wear about five things hanging in our closets anyway. The idea is to buy them to fit, and change around to get more mileage out of less clothing. I’m sold.

Now!! For the house, I began boxing up “stuff” today after watching the “Flip” shows last night. Becky and I entertained ourselves at each commercial break talking about how I could make changes that were needed and up to date. Each hopeful person who entered into the business of “flipping” mentioned how the kitchen and bathroom sell a house. The two rooms here that need serious help.

This week will be busy as I work my projects and enjoy a little of the late summer weather. With a new hurricane to watch on the weather channel I will have to allocate my time…….it will be possible to finally work in the yard a little where I need to do some cleaning out. The cats love having me outside as they laze around and watch me work. I guess that’s what kitties call “quality time.” They are always highly interested in whatever I’m doing and enjoy my conversations with them.

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther