<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

THE POWER OF ONE..... 

Am I the only person who has gone blind watching Dean? I’m a news hound. In my next life I’m going to chase ambulances, fire-trucks and storms. The intensity of nature and the wonder of life captivates me. It’s amazing to think if we go right or left at the next corner our lives could change forever. Such little timely choices we make can set the course of history.

I am always blown away when I read that our national bird, the bald eagle, was only one vote from being beat out by the other choice….the turkey. Think how that would affect our country every Thanksgiving. Who would want to roast a turkey if it were the national symbol? Hitler came into power by one vote, so did Lenin. The power of one can make big differences world wide simply by exercising the opportunity to vote.

CNN has provided the ability to sit in our living rooms and watch wars, earthquakes, tsunami’s, floods, bridge disasters, planes trains and automobile crashes of every kind….the list is endless. Every thing from climbing Mount Everest to being buried in coal mines. We sit and watch and empathize with victims and their families as they are thrust into situations they never could have imagined.

This past week we were able to see Dean vividly from the space station in clarity and intensity. A storm as large as the State of Texas. And somewhere north in Utah, we were hoping against hope that the miners would be dug out only to lose three lives in the efforts. I cannot imagine the agony of the families or the fear of the miners. To be so far down in the earth no light could penetrate as hope faded and they began dying one by one. It would be a miracle if they ever get out.

The power of one. I am only one, now. I used to be part of two and mail still comes for that other part of me. There are many ways that one would think I am still two but I am not. What does “one” do? It seems to me that prayer would be a good thing and writing a simple little blog as I can about simple things that impact my life. If there is one person out there in cyber space who reads this blog and feels the better for it then I have doubled my power. The power of one.

And if I pray and God grants one favor to the person or groups I pray for then I am more than one. I am a senior woman now, children gone and husband gone but I can feed birds, give them water, take care of stray cats, encourage others by phone, give as I am blessed and lend a helping hand where I can.

I am only one but I will find all the things “one” can do and I will do them. I don’t want to waste one day of the days I am given…..and I hope to leave a light along the path……..

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther