<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

FRIENDSHIP BEGINS WITH YOU..... 

Friendship. There is a wide bevy of meaning in that word. Usually you have one or two that stand out from the rest because the two of you have a connection that is very special and meaningful.

I am blessed to have had many friends and actually, the three men I married were my best friends. Though my first husband and I divorced in 1970 I can still sit down with him and visit about old times, hear the news about people we both knew and about how proud we are of our children. We marvel they turned out so well with us as their parents.

Husband number two taught me a lot about being more aggressive. He was Military and a linguist. He had a lot of experience in his background and after he died of cancer near our 27th wedding anniversary I was able to stand on my own and get things done. He would have been proud of me because I had learned to stay with a problem (usually on the phone) and get results.

Husband number three is the one most of you know because I’ve written about our lives more recently……my high-school sweetheart that I still carried in my heart…..and it was the same with him. When we found one another after all the years passed from high-school we married at once and never looked back.

I think it’s important to be friends with your husband/spouse. Talking is the best way to complete a marriage…..to keep it young and loving. OK……so why shouldn’t I dish out a little theory? With three marriages to different men, I should be qualified to think about what works and what doesn’t.

Ladies, my mother’s advice still holds true. Men like to eat so learn to cook. Most men like a decent looking home so keep it as clean as time allows. Men like pretty women so don’t slouch around in baggy worn-out sweats, oily hair and no makeup. Trust me, if you don’t look as good as who they’ve worked with all day you’re doing yourself (and him) a dis-service. Men go by what they see, women go by what they hear. So ladies, fix yourself up and guys…….learn a very good line.

There is no perfect marriage so get rid of that idea right away. A healthy marriage has differences of opinion, lots of respect for each other and lots of ways to show either one. Love, love, love your hubby and he’ll be your friend forever. In the long run you’re gonna be one happy lady.

Remember: Only you can be yourself. No one else is qualified for the job………

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther