<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, July 27, 2007

TO 'WILL' OR NOT TO 'WILL'..... 

Yesterday I mentioned that I loved learning new things. Well, I do and I’m getting quite the education from my first attempt at being Administrator of Dale’s Estate. It has consumed my time since they called me of his death on June 9th. Because I was the only one that could be reached as far as any family went I volunteered to leave the next morning and claim his body and make arrangements.

I was shot out of the cannon with a quick and fuzzy idea of what I was in for. I would like to take a deep breath and tell any of you reading this, MAKE A WILL. It would have been so much easier had Dale done that but after searching through mounds of papers, his computer and file cabinets…….not a slip of paper to help.

I made the rounds to the Police Station, the Coroner’s Office, the Funeral Home and then began accumulating information to close down his accounts. I am still working on that. There is no helpful information to speed up the procedure so it’s just hunt and peck to wade through the tangle. Today I was working on a plan to sell the mobile home and nothing seemed to jell for me. I guess I’ll begin on Monday when the week and I are both fresher.

It is becoming more and more difficult to “just do……ANYTHING.” Being born, having surgery, going to school, getting a job, marriage, divorce, dying…..buying a home…all a nightmare. No wonder there are so many lawyers and accountants. Dale was retired, no wife, no children and I’m into the second month trying to close out his paper trail. He had a modest mobile home, one pickup and a simple existence. I shudder to think how much worse it could be.

Well, it’s Friday! Time to load up the paper on the kitchen table and call it quits until Monday morning when I can go back to work on this. I would advise anyone to avoid Administrating an estate unless you really, really love the deceased. And I did, I do and I always will be willing to do whatever it takes for Dale!!

Have a great weekend. Until Monday, I am,
Essentially Esther