<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, July 09, 2007

THE LAST LOAD...... 

Becky and I left home July 4th for Illinois. I drove and she was the navigator…..when you are on unfamiliar roads, such as going through St. Louis, you need four eyes for the correct lane to be in for the next exit. I may be prejudiced but I don’t think Illinois marks their highways, freeways and exit signs as well as Missouri. Maybe I’m just used to my locale but every time I go through St. Louis with someone or by myself, it is always a challenge. I have taken measures to try and end the return trips.

We arrived around lunchtime and went right to work in Dale’s home. Our objective was to fill the pick-up on Wednesday, lock the cover down over the top and go for a U-Haul the next day. It all worked out great, but the weather was so oppressive, humid and downright miserable we struggled to stay with it. By 5:30 we had loaded all we could and headed for the shower.

Next morning we rented a small truck and Becky opted to drive it back to the mobile home. We grabbed a snack and went to work. At 1:00pm the two boys showed up to move the washer and dryer to the U-Haul…….we had been helped by an employee at the local renting site, when I said we would need someone to do some heavy lifting. They proved their worth and in two hours they were on their way.

Becky and I loaded the last of the things to go back with us, cleaned the place as well as we could with only a broom and dust-pan but with it emptied out it looked much more presentable. I still intend hiring a cleaning lady to go in and finish the job.

We drove home without mishap and Becky’s son, Jonathan, was on hand to do the heavy lifting and emptying of the two vehicles so I could return the U-Haul before closing time. George arrived mid-afternoon and helped with much of the activity so we could close in the garage and call it a day. George and Jonathan loaded up my John Deere mower on George’s trailer and left after lunch on Saturday.

Rocky’s daughter Holly and husband Eddie came yesterday to deliver shirts she made for orders we’ve received concerning Rocky’s Powerlifting Meet. They were good help with all of the cables, wires and electrical toys of Dale’s. Becky and I have a lot of items to sell which will go into Dale’s Estate. I am not anticipating a trip very soon since the paper work has been completed and we have emptied out the mobile home and shed for sale.

The lawyer thought we could complete the papers we need to by mail so we may never go back there. It has been a sad affair and a lot of hot, back-breaking work…..but I think we have completed this the way Dale would have wanted.

It is with great sadness that he is gone……but God has a time for us all and Dale was allowed to call the shots on his terms so I will accept that and go on. I have many happy memories to keep him in my heart until I see him again.

Thanks for your prayers, for your condolences and for your interest in this sad loss for us. You are appreciated.

Until next time, I am,
Essentially Esther