<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, July 16, 2007

JUST THINKIN' ABOUT..... 

I’ve traveled a great distance this morning sitting on my couch. I am going through mail that Dale saved of his mother’s (one of my very favorite people) and found quite a few cards, notes and letters I had mailed over the years to her. It is odd to read things you wrote almost 20 years ago and amazing how time changes all of us. There were letters from my mother to her and of course other family members.

I have often said I grew up in a family of writers. Letter writers. Up until a few years ago anyone I called was afraid of what I might say when they heard my voice. “What’s happened” was usually their greeting because it was only sickness, death or something serious to make any of us call. We thought it an expense to be avoided.

My mother and all of my aunts would not believe how it is now where every car you meet has someone talking on the phone. It seems the world is full of voices all talking at once on cell-phones. If it is true that any sound is still “out there” and can be traced back…..I think it’s going to be harder now with all of the cell phones. I don’t understand the science behind it and maybe it has been proven untrue but I read once where any sound since the beginning of time is still able to be picked up by a certain capability. We might find it hard listening to some of the things that have come out of our own mouth.

It is interesting what people have to say about you when you aren’t present. When I made the trips to Illinois to take care of Dale’s belongings his neighbors, one by one, would come to the door asking if something happened to Dale. When I told them he died, they were very sorry. After all he had lived there and near there for many years. He worked at the airport, nearby, but had retired and devoted his life to learning all about electronics.

He wired his home in every room for “surround sound” and a CD and DVD collection that was extensive. Almost everyone said the same about Dale. “What a nice man he was.” Never bothered anyone, was always friendly and never got out of the house very much. After years of being in the Navy, private lessons to learn to fly and then becoming a flight instructor with an impressive record, he then went to work for the FAA at the same airfield and retired from there.

I am very happy he was in my life….more a brother than a cousin, and over that a very decent person. If people can say that about me when I’m gone, that will be good enough.

It seems to me the undeserving get the longest eulogies and I figure it’s to cover up a mess they’ve made of their life……if you’re the real deal it doesn’t have to be said.

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther