<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

HELPMATES..... 

Today I will be in and out. I don’t like running errands….and my “errand guy” is no longer here. It’s shocking at times when I need help in a particular area and I remember Rocky can’t do it for me.

Yes, I was a spoiled wife. His power, his knowledge, willingness to help and his kindness were something I could count on. I didn’t say “I could take for granted” for even before we knew he had cancer I never took any thing about him for granted. When we were married we promised each other we would never try to change one another and the honeymoon would never end until we said so. Sadly, it ended without either of us asking.

He would have been so much help in bringing Dale’s estate to a conclusion. If you can imagine loads of electrical cords, wires and everything being hooked up to surround sound, every conceivable piece of electronic “stuff” that Radio Shack had and all being hooked together in Dale’s home you can imagine the work it has taken to just get it undone.

Loading, did I mention loading. The first trip up, we loaded as much as we could bring back in Dale’s pickup. It had a nice flat, metal cover which only raised so far. Thankfully I didn’t have to scrunch down to push things to the back of the pickup bed or I would still be there in the shape of a pretzel. Helen (sister-in-law) and Becky did that on separate trips and I was grateful. Richard (Rocky’s brother) and I carried box after box to be loaded.

Rocky would have had a “plan.” He spent a good part of his life hauling furniture around this country and he was good at what he did. He had the strength of a bull until the day he died…..but he didn’t use up his strength needlessly. He was master at finding the simple and easy way to do things. I loved to hear his stories how he and his boys moved impossible furniture in impossible circumstances.

One that stands out is coming down a circular stairway with a piano. I don’t remember who did what but it got away from them and made a hole in the wall before stopping. He and the kids would laugh over all the things that happened during those years and I never tired of hearing about any of them. What a life he had!!

I could rattle on and on but remember those errands I talked about? They are still waiting so I’d better get cracking.

I miss you Rocky…….not for the help you were but the love you are.

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther