<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A WAITING ISSUE..... 

Does anyone in this world like to wait? How many minutes/hours a day do we wait on things? I grew up hearing my mother say things like, “A watched pot never boils.” Well, I think she’s wrong…..or maybe it’s me that’s boiling. OK, I confess, I’m not good at waiting.

I wait while Mandy stands in the yard at the end of her leash and me holding it like a statue in the park. She doesn’t move except to glance out the corner of her eye to see if I look threatening yet. If I bark out, “hurry up!” she only changes her nose for a twitch or two. On really bad days I have jerked her little head with the leash until her eyeballs roll around like pin-balls. OK….I lied. I’m not cruel to animals but at times I think I could be. They are so exasperatingly independent.

How about business calls who promise to call you back “the next morning.?” It is 2:00pm and I’m still waiting. How about waiting for a doctor or dentist when you’ve had a 3-month appointment? Over the years I’ve tried early, noon and later for my appointments. None of them are ever on time. What do they do back there in those little rooms anyway?

Then there’s waiting in line at the grocery store, prescription counter or post office. I race my cart into a checkout lane where there is only one customer who is almost finished emptying her basket. I can hardly contain my delight as I look at the other long lines and picture myself getting out way ahead of them.

The next thing I know she is arguing with the clerk that she charged too much. The clerk calls for the dept. super to come make a judgment. The super is at the back of the store chatting on a cell-phone……we are drawing lots of stares from the other check out lanes and now it’s too late to go to another counter. Finally the gabby super comes up and sides with the clerk…the product has been remarked and someone failed to feed it correctly into the computer…….more waiting. The customer is incensed and wants the manager…….well, you know the rest.

Waiting in traffic, waiting for your order to be served, waiting for pills to take effect, waiting for the mail before you can leave home, waiting for a serviceman to fix that leaky faucet……..waiting on it to quit raining, for the dryer to quit running or for your car to be serviced….waiting, waiting, waiting.

Soon I will try publishing this and with all the high tech super fast power I’ve signed up for, I’ll have to wait to connect with the net. Waiting is not good….I can see no benefit to it at all except maybe giving me time to think, to dream, to relax, to be thankful, to slow me down, to remember how God has blessed me, to feast my eyes on things about me and to give me time to change gears.

Whoever started this multi-tasking stuff anyway? Slow down and enjoy your day.

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther