<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, June 25, 2007

TURN ABOUT..... 

Make new friends but keep the old,
For one is silver, the other, gold……….

Those words ring true and many of us have kept friends all through the years. Rocky and I were a classic case of high-school romance that lasted from then until now. Part of my heart is with him in heaven and he left part of his with me. It was a young love that wasn’t to be denied……..I still correspond with some ‘49er’s I went to school with.

I called a dear old friend over the week-end and we gabbed like we used to when we lived across the street from each other. We moved into our home on 65th Street in 1957 and sometime later a new little family moved in across the street from us. In those days the neighborhood was a building development with cow pastures a block down the street from us.

Children raised up with one another became friends who have stuck together over the many separations. In those days neighborhoods took care of each other and each other’s children. Rosalie and I were fortunate enough to be stay-at-home moms and we shared a lot of our hopes and despairs together.

Of my three children Becky was the most challenging. She was a strong minded child who never seemed to respect my wishes. I remember one time in particular when we’d had one of our little pow-wows and she was confined to her room. I saw Rose sitting on her front step and I crossed the street to tell her of my frustrations. We sat there, talking about our hopes and fears for our children…….a habit that helped us through tough times.

Every time we visit on the phone, we still share family triumphs and set-backs. Now we are to the age where our children are beginning to think we need some supervision. I am fortunate to have Becky living next door and we have wonderful times together……however, we differ on some viewpoints and I’m becoming the hard-to-manage person she used to be in my life. My, how times DO change!

Let me just say it is always over doctoring, medications, eating habits etc; She is delightful to be around, very entertaining, knowledgeable and caring. However, I feel she is too consumed with my health. Rosalie and I were laughing how now we can cause our kids as much grief as they used to cause us. They never knew they would one day realize us as the “child” and themselves as the “adult.” We are all twice a child, once a woman (or man) and after raising our children we take on failing parents who just “don’t get” our good intentions.

It’s OK, kids…..after all we go through in a lifetime it’s OK to eat as much ice-cream as we want…………

Essentially Esther