<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, June 08, 2007

RED TAPE..... 

This has been an interesting week. Monday Becky and I started back to the gym to get back in shape. Tuesday I decided to see how Social Security was coming along after closing Rocky’s account.

Call number one. The phone was no longer in service because the office moved. Back to the phone book……I get a number with a State agency. I spent 5 minutes punching numbers for the reason of my call. They didn’t want to process me because nothing showed up on the computer. They gave me the new number for the new building.

Call number two. After a considerable wait, I got a voice putting me through the system. I was delighted when at last a real person came on the line. We spent a half hour on the phone while I answered questions of every conceivable personal history. She gave me her name and number…..even her extension number and said I could call the next day or she would get back to me on Thursday. Now I’m getting someplace.

Call number three, day three. The lines were all tied up and I was asked by a voice to call back when the lines weren’t busy. I was getting tired of carrying the phone with me so I wouldn’t miss “the” call. The rest of the day the lines were not open and I almost ruined the redial on my phone.

Day four…..morning call. Peak calling…..call back later. By noon I decided to drive the 20 miles to the office and make my case in person. No one was waiting…I got right in. The nice lady was clicking her computer keys but frowning. There was a problem. I needed my birth certificate and marriage license. I was told on April 30th everything was in order and all I needed was the death certificate.

I was patient until this past Tuesday when I decided I’d better see how it was coming along……I had a very nice session with a lady who told me everything was in order. Today I find out it has been held up all this time because I didn’t have my birth certificate or marriage license.

I kept my sweet attitude and told the nice lady I would go home and get my marriage license but I had a birth certificate card in my purse. One down, two to go. I drove back home, got the license and entered the new office. No one in line again, I didn’t have to wait.

The lady copied the license, handed it back and told me she would hand carry it to the case worker in the other room. I should be hearing “soon” about my claim. This is the 38th day since I first made my request so we’ll see how much longer it takes. Eighty miles later and the afternoon shot…..I’m ready for the weekend.

Remember: It is easier to go downhill than up, but the view is from the top.
Essentially Esther