<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

WINGS OR FENCES? 

I find there are basically two kinds of people. The ones who build fences and the ones who make wings. We are all on a journey of somewhere and nowhere. It isn’t so much the destination as it is the journey. The destination is decided at some point in our life and we either believe the way to get there or we miss the road completely. It is in reaching the destination that completes the journey.

I remember the Olympics one year and it might have been the one in Australia. One of the swimmers was hopelessly in last place……way back in last place. The crowd roared for the winner, the second place and the third place. They hardly noticed the swimmer who continued with his laps until he was obviously the last in the pool. Suddenly, the crowd got into the moment and cheered for the last place swimmer. When he climbed out, exhausted, he was greeted with a hero’s welcome. Once in a while people get it right.

When one thinks of life experience and the options we have it seems a pity to dwell on the winners all the time. How about dwelling on those who finish in spite of the odds. For some it would be a victory just to get into the pool. I remember a teacher telling me one time how difficult it is for blind people to swim. There is no ability to tell if they are up or down once they are in the water. They have to trust the directions of the teacher to overcome their fear of water.

Who or what has impacted your life? For me, reading was a wonderful tool to take me out of my circumstances. Reading could take me to wonderful places I would never see and introduce me to people who only lived in the books I read. Like Jo, in Little Women, I wanted to be a writer. I’ve been writing one way or another all my life and Becky’s middle name is Jo after one of my favorite characters. I never tried publishing and never will but writing has afforded me the freedom of expression and great joy.

So what do you do with each day that keeps you going in the direction you purpose? Do you build fences to keep people out or to keep you inside? Do you make wings to fly out of the boundaries that hold you in? Some live in isolation their whole life, by choice, while others seek and discover the unknown.

Is one better than the other? That is what we each decide. The Einstein’s of the world, the ones who live for a single solitary purpose sacrifice all for their quest. They lock themselves away to search out the unknown. The ones with wings soar and climb the heights to bring the beauty of music, painting, writing and breathe life onto canvas, paper or instruments.

Just be true to the journey, however, wherever it takes you and we will all meet at the finish line………………

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther