<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

THE VALUE OF TIME...... 

The first thing I would like to do today as I splash words across the screen, is to thank the ones of you who read and take time to comment. It means so much to have your encouragement, especially now. I always print off what I’ve written for the day and the first one to read was always Rocky. He would give his approval and even though I would proof read before printing, he would do an excellent job of editing for me. Many times I’d have to go back and edit out something or put something in. I will miss that. He was always very proud of my writing and knew it would be a great source of healing for me after he was gone. He was right.

Rocky knew me better than anyone. Because he loved me I was always on his mind. Not only the many years we were separated but after we were married. He took the time to notice what I liked, or didn’t, and made it his business to see that I was shown how much he valued our time together.

I was reading a nice quote from my Rick Warren daily calendar and it talks about the value of time. I quote: The essence of love is not what we think or do or provide for others, but how much we give of ourselves….The most desired gift of love is not diamonds or roses or chocolate. It is focused attention. Love concentrates so intently on another that you forget yourself at that moment. Attention says, “I value you enough to give you my most precious asset….my time.” Whenever you give your time, you are making a sacrifice, and sacrifice is the essence of love.

Rocky had the courtesy and ability to allow your conversation. He wasn’t dying to cut in and out talk you…..he was more intent on what you had to say. He was slow to speak when asked a question but when he answered it was a “thought over” answer. He considered you, he was interested in you and he always left people with a smile on their face. I don’t think any of us were aware of his gift or how gracious he was……we were always caught up in the moment and walked away feeling good. In retrospect I see clearly how he put himself last in every encounter.

It is healing for me to talk about him because it keeps him close. One of the nicest things you can do for a friend or family member who has lost their loved one, is to allow them to reminisce, to laugh, to cry. Sometimes it is awkward for them but when they find you can speak of them it allows them to do the same. It is always a happy time for me when others remember how Rocky impacted their life. He would be very proud to know just how many there are. Proud and humbled.

Today makes the fourth week of Rocky’s life in heaven. Rocky didn’t die, he just went into greater life. Death is a lie to a Christian because we go from life to life. I am not afraid of ending this life because I know the next life is one of love and truth. My prayer is that everyone who reads this is prepared for that next life to come……it is found in John 3:16...so simple a child can understand and so powerful it will change your life now and forevermore.

Essentially Esther