<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, May 24, 2007

CHEVY, LOVEY AND ME..... 

For those of us who love cats, it is a dilemma to be reckoned with. The outside cats seem intent on killing anything that moves. Last night I was able to rescue a small bird from Chevy, the young male. I noticed him letting something go and then catching it again ……my immediate reaction was to chase him down and grab the bird. I hate the way cats tease and torment their catches.

Around and around the three large bushes in back we went. Lovey became interested in the action and was set to grab the prize Chevy and I were after. My success was in Chevy’s youth…..he suddenly became aware I didn’t like what he was doing and ran off. Barely getting the bird before Lovey closed in….. I checked for blood or broken wings and stroked it‘s small head to ease the shock it had been through…..then carried it to one of the large bird feeders we have for safety.

I went about filling the bird feeders and giving them fresh water, keeping my eye on the little bird. When my back was turned he flew off the feeder but I don’t know how well it could fly…..I saw it hopping in a zig-zag motion down a slope to heavy foliage where he disappeared. I hoped he would be able to fly after gaining more strength……at any rate, his chances were better than in Chevy’s mouth.

I was walking Mandy out back this morning and noticed a young blue jay already dead from Lovey’s prowess. A short while later I was coming back from the garage and found a large dead toad with it’s head missing. It sickens me to find such good little creatures ambushed and killed by cats who have no need of food. They often times pass up tuna or salmon which I feed them on a regular basis to hunt for something they usually don’t eat.

There has to be a moral lesson in it all. We can save some but not all. We can do good sometimes but not all. We rejoice in what we can do and embrace pity for what we can’t. I still love my cats because they only do what is natural to them. I will still fight to preserve helpless creatures when I can…….and I will still try to understand the way we are made and why……I realize it is beyond my understanding but something in me wants to keep trying.

I will never give up trying……..

Until next time, I am,
Essentially Esther