<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, May 21, 2007

A BEAUTIFUL MONDAY..... 

A funny thing happened on the way to_____________. How many comedians have you heard that line from? Maybe it’s just the old vaudeville guys but it always set you up for a laugh. This afternoon I thought I would be good to myself and take a nap……that thing I promised myself I was going to do when I retired…and never did. Anyway, I was on the bed trying to sleep and the phone rang. It was the “Grief Counselor” from Hospice wanting to see how I was doing.

Was I eating right? Was I getting enough sleep? Was I sleeping all night? Do you eat much protein? Do you get out? Do you have friends who call, a church to go to or family nearby? After she kept me on the phone a half hour I gave up the nap idea and decided I’d better get serious about writing a blog for today.

She was very courteous and pleasant…….I enjoyed her phone visit and gave her permission to call again. She is a volunteer who works in conjunction with Hospice and I appreciate her offer to come for a visit but a phone call will suffice. I have been on the phone quite a bit today trying to cancel Rocky’s credit cards. Thank heavens he only had three or I’d still be on the phone. Such a mumbo jumbo of numbers to feed into an automated phone “person”. I should probably have had the Grief Counselor come to make me feel better about the credit card debacle because I wasn’t too happy when I finally completed the cancellations.

It’s hard to be too upset on a pretty day like we are having here. There has been bright sunshine with a cool breeze, beautiful sky and everything growing like crazy. I am looking forward to fixing my porch pots soon. They give so much pleasure and are handy to water on the front or the deck. “Handy” being the operative word there.

It’s time for me to feed the birds, put fresh water in our three bird baths and put Becky’s little kitty in the garage for her. She will be getting home late from Jefferson City so I’ll put her little “Chicky” in and feed her strays. I have two different strays who come here each evening to eat about dark…….they discovered Napoleon’s cat food and bread cubes and after I saw them creep over to eat what was left I began putting out enough for three diners. God help the poor little critters that are thrown out into a cruel world and have no where to go.

Rocky and I loved watching the birds together. We have so many song bird varieties here and the other day I saw a huge Pileated Woodpecker in our back yard eating bugs from an old oak stump. It isn’t an every day occurrence so whenever we see him it is special. Watching the birds is wonderful entertainment when you have as many as we do…….they are little important folks who bring a flash of color as they travel to and from our many feeders…………

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther