<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, May 04, 2007

AUNE'S POEM..... 

Rocky’s mother and I had something in common besides loving him. I’ve been going through stacks of things that need to be given to Rocky’s children so they can be passed on down the family line. In doing so, I came across a very faded tablet with his mother’s poetry.

Aune, was born in Finland, and came through Ellis Island with her family. She was pretty and witty and her heart ached to write. She wrote several stories and tried to get them published but they were never accepted.

With pencil faded on yellowed paper, I read one of her poems as I sorted through the things. It was not titled but the date struck me. It was written in January 1931.….the year Rocky was born later, in November.

I understand her need to write and I understand the love of poetry. My mother passed the same love down to me….writing and loving poetry. Mom never wrote poetry but our family loved to get her letters which were actually journals. Mom’s letters were fat, lovingly written and eagerly read by all.

This is Aune’s poem.

The roses are shining in Picardie
In the hush of the silver dew
The roses are flowering in Picardie
But there was never a rose like you.
The roses die in the summertime
The roses may be far apart
But one rose will never die in Picardie,
And that’s the rose I keep in my heart.

Like my mother, Aune pasted clippings from newspapers in her tablet. There are those she admired and which inspired her. As time allows I will share more of our mothers and their thoughts. They left a rich heritage for me to glean through. For now I will need to return to my sorting.

I hope her poem will go far and wide out in cyber space and she will know at last……she is being read.

I loved Aune.

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther

PS.....This is incorrect as Aune's Poem....I have been informed that it was a song she liked and wrote the words in her own handwriting. I assumed she wrote the poem but credit goes to Fred E. Weatherly for the poem and set to music by Hayden Wood. I am happy to make the correction and give due credit to the creators of Roses Are Shining in Picardie. (April 4, 2008) Essentially Esther