<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, May 03, 2007

ATTENTION TO DETAILS..... 

Our home is quiet now. Rocky’s daughters left over the weekend after helping Becky and me make plans for the memorial service. It was important to all of us to represent our combined families in honor of Rocky. Each are putting their personal talents to use in making the day very personal and special.

Monday, Becky took the day off work, and accompanied me to West Plains to take care of the paper trail that follows a death in the family. She wanted to make the day better for me, knowing it was our wedding anniversary. We had a nice lunch together, her treat, and were able to finish what we set out to do. Bringing Rocky back to our home was the highlight of my day….

Tuesday I spent the day on the phone taking care of the many calls that were necessary. I heard recorded voices and pressed more buttons in one day than I have since we were married. It is amazing how much needs to be changed in either a birth, death, wedding or divorce. It also amazes me how much misinformation one agency has about the other. By the end of the day I was finished and I had a call from the bank telling me our first Memorial Fund check came in for Rocky. The girl who helped set up the fund was so excited she called to tell me. A whopping $500.……we gave each other high fives through the phone and called it a day.

Yesterday I spent going through things that were no longer pertinent. You don’t realize how much of your life is geared to two instead of one. Simple, everyday things like address labels. It has to be faced and I find, for me, it is therapeutic to keep busy. As I work, my mind wanders and I see a pattern of God working in the past and in the present. Some things are linked together.

The day my brother died in 1989 of lung cancer, we had to have our dog, Jake, put to sleep……kidney failure. Both slipped away on the same day, together. Morris, our big yellow cat (like the TV Morris) came to us in July that year and was the same day Rocky came into my life again at a High School Reunion. We were both married to someone else at the time but overjoyed to see each other again. The strange thing is….I had to have Morris put to sleep after 18 years, again it was kidney failure. I didn’t know that later the same day Rocky would join him.

They came into my life on the same day and left me on the same day, together. God is not a God of happenstance. I’m believing they are still together and enjoying the place He has prepared for them. Do I believe there are pets in heaven? I sure do. Love and devotion are two things God loves and pets were made to do just that!

Pets and people are two things loaned to us for a while and then they go back to God. Our part is to love them while we may…….and then release them when God calls……..

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther