<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, March 02, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOHN..... 

John has reached a significant milestone today…..or rather will at 9:15 tonight, the actual time of his birth. Wouldn’t you know he was born on a Saturday night as I lay in bed watching the car lights stream down the freeway into the heart of Kansas City. He was born at St. Mary’s hospital and I’m not even sure if it’s still there or not. I had a boy and I had a girl, now I had John……my life was complete.

I’ll always be thankful my mother’s instincts were correct when I noticed things about him that troubled me. I can rest knowing he had all the medical help available at that time and that he ended up living his dream…..”to be just a normal kid.”

Do you realize how great it is to be “normal?” When I think of movie stars, pop stars, athletes and politicians……I see how public their life has become and they have lost the normal touch of living. They start out wanting fame, big money and power……but almost in every case when that is attained they have sacrificed something very precious. The money, fame, beauty or talent wears out and many end up poor in every aspect of their lives.

The winners are the ones who were plodders or dreamers, who kept close to their support base….their friends and family….and who took the back row so someone else could shine. Happiness isn’t a promise, it’s something that happens when you are content with who you are and where you are. Someone who has the right expectations of life and doesn’t get lost in greed or taking pot-shots at others to get ahead. Contentment is a precious commodity.

This is your day, John!! You’ve come a long way since I first looked into your face. I am proud of you and wish you many more happy years.

I have just returned from taking Rocky to the pick-up point where he met his coach and a fellow team-mate, Jeke. They are super great guys who use Volkswagens for basketballs……I doubt if they know their own strength. When Rocky points out how much more they can lift than he can they are quick to say, “Yes, but will we be able to lift what you can when we are your age?” Though Rocky’s strength has weakened over this past year he still trains and shows up at the gym.

The “kids” he trains with wouldn’t have it any other way. He’s in good hands until he comes back to me tomorrow night. I’ll be praying he can make himself proud. I’m already proud of him………

Until tomorrow when I post his results, I am,
Essentially Esther