<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, February 01, 2007

GOOD MAINTENANCE..... 

Some days I have troubles and some days I can fix them. Like all senior women, I am not electronically inclined…..yet I am more so than many of my friends. I’ve tried and tried to “sell” several of them on computers to better keep in touch with their families……giving glowing remarks about how fast it is, how you get answers back quickly, etc; but they keep giving me the same answers I used to give my kids when they tried to sell me on the idea.

Several of my friends live alone and one is amazing. She is 89 and a real feisty lady. She traveled the globe with her husband who made a career in the Military. She raised two boys and after they left home and she lost her husband, she still lives in California, far away from her relatives.

She has had several mishaps, surgeries and so on…….made it by herself in her own home….she lived in a wheelchair for weeks. Of course, to get back to the computer thing, it would be good for her now that her fingers don’t “write” so well. Something most of my pals and I are going through. For me, it’s osteoporosis, for some it’s “Arthur” and for one of them, broken bones. Sooner or later, body parts come to the place where they are considering retirement.

With the mountains this lady has climbed I am surprised she didn’t go for it but when I call to check on her, she is witty and interesting and I’m always glad I’ve called. Maybe sometimes it’s nice to hear a human voice rather than read an email, after all. I can appreciate the fact that it takes most of her day just taking care of herself…..it’s becoming more clear all the time. The older we become, the more maintenance….but why should that come as a surprise? Think of old machinery! Nothing runs forever without overhauling and TLC from time to time.

Well, back to my troubles. I was trying to get on line part of the day and was having no luck. After a while I decided to try Becky’s system of unplugging and re-plugging the line to the cable. When I crawled under the desk and checked the wires, the one to the cable was unplugged. Why, I felt positively proud of myself! Plugging in that little feller put me back in business.

The kitties are in and fed, Napoleon has been fed real good (baby, it’s cold out there and the ground is covered with snow)……it’s time to take Mandy out and then time for Rocky and me to spend the evening improving our intelligence in front of TV. (The smart thing about THAT is…..turning it off!!) Whatever happened to good TV anyway?

Just remember: “Failures are divided into two classes - those who thought and never did and those who did and never thought.” John Charles Sak

Until tomorrow, I am,,
Essentially Esther