<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, February 02, 2007

FAREWELL TO AUNT SALLY..... 

I had an email waiting when I turned the computer on this morning. My cousin wrote that her mother, my aunt Sally passed away around 10:30 last night. She is the last of six children…..my mother being the oldest.

Aunt Sally raised six children of her own, marrying after college years to a man who was stricken with polio when he was young. Just because you wear braces and walk with crutches does not mean you are handicapped……uncle Rod was very much a “hands on” dad and provider for his family.

Their children married or left for college…..uncle Rod passed away, leaving aunt Sally alone in a very big house. She spent most of her years there, very active in church, Sweet Adeline’s, the town Library, and other ventures that were worthwhile to her. My mother and her three sisters had the most beautiful, uniform handwriting I’ve ever seen. Aunt Sally was no exception. Their writing was always recognized before you opened an envelope.

She enjoyed her children and their sports, always a big supporter of their endeavors, her grandchildren and her many friends. She was more a sister to me than an aunt…..we were only 10 years apart.

I will remember her spontaneous smile, her pleasure in a good prank…..and her laughter. She enjoyed life and I don’t think she ever let mundane tasks keep her from participating in a good time. If I were to sum up the memories I have of her, I think maybe I’d say she was kind of a “dessert first” kind of gal.

I know the family was at the gate when aunt Sally came through, the last of the six of them. Her journey over……and safely home……we will miss her.

Our condolences to my cousins………..

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther