<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

BOUNTY IN A BOX...... 

Yesterday is gone and Today is here. Today is the Tomorrow we looked forward to Yesterday and it is now Past. I love that. What ever Yesterday’s fears were about Today can be dealt with now. We get a chance to clean the slate for our next Tomorrow.

OK…..if you’re still with me……we’ll go on. I’m personally mixed up with all that but I’ll chew on it Today. We are looking forward to Rocky’s brother and wife, Richard and Helen and sister and husband, Marie and Harold on Thursday. They will be with us through Saturday and we always have a wonderful time of visiting and catching up on one another’s families, etc;

We are expecting John and Barbara the 17th through the 20th of this month. We will be able to celebrate Mardi Gras, their wedding anniversary and an early 50th birthday for John (March 2) all in one visit. I’m not sure about LJ coming along since he’s busy at LSU….but we’ll take any and all of the Louisiana family. George will be coming down to join us hopefully so all of the Strain kids can be together.

I had good intentions yesterday about cleaning some “corners” and got stuck. Kind of like painting yourself in a corner. I ran across a box in the closet that contained all of the clippings I’ve saved over the years, plus my mother’s and some very sentimental things such as the poems read at my mother and father’s funerals. Just stuff like that……trash to another but treasure to me. I will be sharing some of the bounty of the box, going forward.

Anyway, I forgot the clock, the necessity to clean and took a walk down memory lane with each piece I read. You know, when you are my age, you have a great deal more “memories” than you do future plans. I always liked Willard Scott’s remark about being so old he didn’t even buy green banana’s anymore. I realize I’ve been talking more and more about “old times” and more about the final destination of our “journey” but it’s the “stage” I’m in. From birth to death we all pass through “stages”……it doesn’t stop after the terrible two’s.

Our family was always great on story telling. Didn’t matter if we’d all heard them or told them a million times, we always listened with great expectations, going from grins of recognition to belly laughs and tears by the time the story ended. It is so healing to hear those dear stories over and over. Life is good and some of it bad….but it’s all pretty funny when you look back…..and if you’re an Andersen, the embellishments that stretch facts all over the place are even funnier. We know the truth of it all but the wild rearranging is very dear.

Taken from the box:

As you close your eyes in slumber do you think that God would say,
“You have earned one more tomorrow by the work you did today?”

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther