<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, January 08, 2007

WHY? 

I write today for prayer for our friend, Ellen. Those of you who are “out there” either know her from her site, or from friends like me, who mention her from time to time. Lately, it seems Ellen and Curtis have had a lot to shoulder. Her health is always an issue and at the same time has seen her mother’s health decline to the point of being moved to a facility to care for her.

I was happy to know Ellen was able to do some Christmas entertaining, make her gourmet meals, the shopping, wrapping, decorating and all the joys that make Christmas a personal experience. Then yesterday the pastor she and Curtis love so much divulged he will be leaving his pastorate April 30th of this year. Sadly, not because of his own choosing but by the decision of the Bishop to fill another pastorate.

The ones of us who are in touch with Ellen on a daily basis, know how much Father Robin has meant to both Ellen and Curtis throughout their fight with the cancer. He has been a rock for their faith and a good friend on a personal basis. He has brought joy to them in the worst of times. Just being there……

An email from Ellen today with the news of Father Robin as well as continued serious digestive problems caused by the cancer have brought great distress, both to Ellen and to Curtis. As the rest of her friends and family, I would do anything to be of help but the best thing any of us can do is to pray for the two of them and the situations they face. In her need for physical healing it adds more stress knowing her pastor will soon be forced to leave.

As I write today, Rocky is doing some better. In fact, much better than the week he had the intestinal flu. He has had a 2-week break from Chemo and will go back on Wednesday for more treatment and consultation with Dr. Morgan.

When people throw their lives away every day with drugs, suicide and foolish living it sometimes makes a person stop and wonder why? There are so many good people who want to live and who contribute so much to society at large…….and especially to the families and friends they have……why do good people have to suffer so many losses?

I don’t know what God’s reasons are but I have an understanding that helps me. We are all an open book to “someone”………a book that people read daily who are in and around our lives…..sometimes it isn’t about “us” at all but about who God reaches because of us. He chooses the ones who are good troops to send into battle for the war He wages.

In seeing others suffer with courage and faith it makes the rest of us stronger. Sometimes we are strong in dealing with death ourselves and sometimes we are strong standing by our loved ones as their caregivers. There is strength in all of us which God chooses to use at His will and for His purpose. It is to that purpose we were born into His family and it is for that purpose we live and die.

I am never afraid and I do not flinch because I know God’s plan is perfect……and thought we may never know the “why’s” we do know the “who.”

Psalm 91:14,15,16

“Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him: I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. He will call upon Me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will rescue him, and honor him. With a long life I will satisfy him, And let him behold My salvation.”

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther