<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, January 22, 2007

A GOOD WEEKEND, ALL AROUND..... 

We had an interesting week-end. Of course the weather pulled a few punches that made us nervous as cats but after a freezing rain that could either get worse or not, we went to bed and woke up with the power still on. That’s a blessing after half of Missouri being down with no power.

We had a surprise visit from Rocky’s son and his family on Saturday. They just gave birth to a new little boy on January 4th and they wanted to show “grampa” the new little bud on the family tree. They had sent pictures to us but there is nothing like seeing them in person. He is a little guy….I think they said under six pounds and sure enough, he was tiny…..but oh so CUTE. I know it’s cliché’ for grandparents to think the grandbabies are cute but I’m quite impartial and he IS cute.

Becky was here to enjoy their visit and we had a lot of fun looking at the new baby wardrobe and all the things that go along with a newborn. His skin was very smooth and not red and he slept the whole time he was here except to stretch and take a bottle…..like most babies, they say he gets them up about every four hours during the night but doesn’t fuss.

I got some pictures of grandpa holding him and will try to get them to Becky so she can put them on her site for you. (I’m still not able to do that……I had Becky working on un-jamming a new spy system I installed as it was blocking out stuff I wanted. Didn’t have the heart to ask for more help on the pictures.) Maybe later……..

They left when the freezing rain and sleet began as they were 3 ½ hours from home and didn’t want to have car trouble with a new baby. They called later to say they arrived safely and did have power at home.

Yesterday I enjoyed football all day. Listened to all the experts putting their spin on how they thought the games would go…..it’s always fun to listen to them. Besides being very knowledgeable they are a riot. Who has more fun than ex-players who are now the game callers on the networks? Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long are a hoot and Jimmy Johnson, Michael Irvin add a lot as well.

Rocky napped until the first game started as he is usually nauseated after breakfast each day…..a nap helps him get by for the rest of the day. Becky and I sat on the couch, me knitting, her crocheting, and Rocky got up in the second quarter. Becky and I were for the Saints because of our love for New Orleans and we always pick the underdogs. Rocky was for the Bears……….

Needless to say……our team lost, his won. However……I also like the Bears so I wasn’t disappointed when they won. They were just too much power for the Saints. I was happy that poor Grossman finally quieted the naysayer’s about his game. The poor kid has had a lot of negative publicity to the point some wanted him benched. I’m glad Lovey Smith believed in him and game him the chance to prove himself.

I thought the Colts-Patriots game was the best. We were on the edge of our seats the whole game and I have to say I wanted Manning to win. Like Grossman, his city seemed to hold him accountable for losing the big games and as one of the commentator’s said…… “Manning’s window of opportunity is small now….” How many times can you come back to the big game and miss before your body and the years count you out?

I am also a Brady fan but my reasoning was this: Brady has Super Bowl rings….Manning does not. Brady is bigger than any loss he can have now….Manning really needed this win to round out his great career. I shall also hope he wins the Super Bowl but I will take pride in Brady if that’s the way the ball bounces, as they say.

At any rate, the weather has to be better in Miami than it was in Chicago yesterday. You can’t tell me it isn’t a factor even to the Bears……I’m with Michael Irvin on that…. “don’t tell me those guys go out on the field and love to play in that weather….SHUT UP!!!!” No one likes that kind of weather.

Forgive the Monday morning quarter-backing. I’m living it up while I still have games to watch. Soon there will be a football dessert until August when my old friends come back and we will fight and claw our way to the top once more. One last request!!!

PLEASE, Brett!! Don’t retire……I have loved you for too long!! Don’t leave me now…..PAAALLLEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE COME BACK!!!

Begging you, I am,
Essentially Esther