<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, January 19, 2007

FRIENDSHIP..... 

What kind of friend are you? Do you ever stop and think about the friends you’ve had from childhood to where you are now? Do you ever wonder what happened to those school day chums…ever give them a thought? How many from each grade level can you name off?

They say elderly people have bad short term memory but excellent recall from those early years. I suppose I am considered “elderly” and I think it’s probably true about the memory thing. I can be introduced to someone who is very interesting and I want to remember them…….but five minutes later, unless there is a “word recognition” with the name, I’ve forgotten it.

At first I was embarrassed about it but I no longer chide myself for forgetting things. I am human and I have had a very productive life…..when it counted I was dependable for remembering everything. I was a multi-task person most of my life and I have accomplished many things…..most of which is no longer needed.

I am always analyzing and taking stock of myself……when you have lived 74 years there is a lot to consider. Today I was thinking about friendship and how it affects our lives. What kind of friends did I have and what kind do I have now? Most of the people I call “friends” live away from here and we try to keep in touch as much as possible.

Some of my friends are older and engrossed in serious health problems, some of my friends are younger and caught up with their adult children and grandchildren. Very few are my own age……but a few. Having a variety of friends is good. You learn a lot from every gender and every age, personality etc; We are an open book to everyone and especially to our friends.

It’s funny about friends. You may go several years without seeing them…..yet when you meet again, it is as if you just saw them yesterday. They fit like an old shoe on the same old foot. They do not require constant attention to hold you in high esteem and they are always glad to hear your good news…….always sad with you when times go bad. Friendship is never in competition and is never envious.

I read a line the other day that said volumes.

“A friend is someone you can sit with, saying nothing, and when you get up and walk away you both feel you’ve had a good visit.”

Friendship is a gift we give away and if it comes back to us we are blessed. “Make new friends, but keep the old…..for one is silver….the other, gold.”

Until the next time, I am,
Essentially Esther