<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, January 18, 2007

CRITTER'S LIVE HERE..... 

We are castoffs in a gray and cold world. We listen eagerly each night when the “weatherman” is on but though the temperatures are warmer some days the nights are down to single digits, and we continue to be very cold. When the temperatures are very low to begin with, how much does 10 or even 20 degrees help when the wind is freezing your face right off?

When Becky charmed me into giving Mandy a home so she could be a “buddy” for Rocky during his cancer therapy, it was April. The end of April when it was balmy and warm. It seemed like a good idea at the time…..however……walking her around the yard in December and January has not been fun.

Mandy seems to take great delight in staring at the lights across the street, stopping to listen to dogs barking up and down the road and going over every inch in our yard to pick just the right spot…….I am freezing in my two jackets, polar gloves and stocking cap. Oh yes……and a scarf tied around my face.

She has had very few nights without having to potty on the paper in her crate. She was billed as being “house-broken”…….yah, right!! Each time I think we might be to the end of our “problem” she leaves little calling cards on either of the two white rugs in the bathroom. Why the rugs seem to be the drawing card for her little offerings, I do not know. Rocky says, “After all, she is very smart. She goes to the ‘bathroom’ to go potty.” My retort is, “If she was smart at all, the yard would be the big attraction.” I hate to tell you how many times I’ve laundered the rugs.

Anytime I put up with that much trouble it is because of Rocky. Mandy was to be his recovery dog and I take my commitments seriously. She is a special needs dog with her allergies, spastic colon, constant yeast infections in her ears and her one bad eye. I love critters and I love Rocky more than critters……believe me, if it wasn’t for that fact Miss Mandy would be on a slow boat to China.

I have always been a cat person. Low maintenance. They have great personalities, they are playful, inventive, entertaining and they force their love on you equaled only by the hair they leave behind them. They take care of their own potty…..do not have to be coaxed, walked, cleaned up after…….just scoop out the litter box and case closed!!

Actually, it has been much easier to train Napoleon than Mandy. He comes in the morning for whatever I have……he isn’t picky. He doesn’t require anything until dusk when he comes up on the porch, looks in the window and says, “OK, mom, it’s time for me to eat and get ready for the penthouse.“ I feed him canned cat food and anything that is on hand, from cookies to muffins, bread and all in-between. He is thankful and eats with gusto. Then he is ready to fly up in the big oak out front.

All day he follows the outdoor cats around the yard and back in the woods……they have a great relationship. When I take trash to the burn barrel in the back yard the cats and Napoleon follow along to inspect the procedure and stand around with me until it’s safe to leave the fire.

Chevy always reaches his front paws up and wants me to pick him up and cuddle. Callie has to be cuddled too but she waits her turn like the lady she is. Lovey likes attention as well but is more into wrapping around my legs and likes being petted from above. She will let me hold her but not for very long. If I am ever trying to get an idea where the cats are when it’s time to put them in the garage…….I look for Napoleon. The four of them will be together and from habit are more or less waiting for my call.

With the great variety of love in such different packages, my days are full when I stir Rocky into the mix. They all allow me to love them and care for them…..which is really special. You can’t buy love like that with a million dollars……and I wouldn’t want to.

Critter’s live here…….and you MAY feed the animals!!

Essentially Esther