<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, January 12, 2007

CONCERNED GRANDMOTHER..... 

For those of us seniors who are three score and ten….plus, plus, plus….the world has changed drastically from the one we grew up in and raised our children in. We remember the first “banned in Boston” movie, Gone With The Wind, because at the end of it, Clark Gable used the phrase, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” My grandmother was adamant about the lack of morals and thought someone should make the movie industry accountable for their bad taste.

Now I am the grandmother who is shocked at what can be seen on television at the times of day accorded for family viewing. I have an active imagination which I prefer to use rather be shown every act of sex devised by the TV industry.

Sex has been around since Adam and Eve and I would imagine there is nothing left by now that hasn’t been tried. I am not a prudish woman nor have I lived in a bubble all my life. There are just some things that are never in good taste. If I am to believe the masses enjoy this kind of viewing I am much afraid for our country. From story lines to advertisement, it is all sexually oriented. Enough already!! How about a good story without the explicit scenes to “sell“ the time slot. The networks have gone through the roof to outdo rating wars.

I was reading a little article on “How To Be Happy” today and the first suggestion was to “Give something away”……..it was followed by, “Do a kindness, Give thanks always, Work with vim and vigor, Visit the elderly and learn from their experience, Look intently into the face of a baby and marvel, Laugh often, it’s life’s lubricant, Pray to know God’s way, Plan as though you will live forever-because you will and Live as though today is your last day on earth.

Inch by inch we have been shown a little here and there that was repulsive but no one did anything about it. Unchecked, a trend becomes more and more focal until the problem is so large no one can deal with it. The article I read on How To Be Happy is poles apart from most of what’s offered on television.

I remember our World History teacher in high school who said every country who was at their peak of dominance was ultimately brought down by the lack of morals. They eventually fell apart because of interior decay……..not from an enemy. Abraham Lincoln and many others warned about the same fate for America. Stay morally on the straight and narrow or suffer consequences that would be irreversible.

We are our own keepers……what will we do with it?

Concerned grandmother,
Essentially Esther