<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, January 26, 2007

THE BLUEBIRD OF HAPPINESS..... 

When I was a little girl, around the age of 10, I begged mom and dad for money to walk to the neighborhood theatre to see “The Bluebird of Happiness.” I read everything I could get my hands on and loved movies geared for children. With money in hand, I raced to the theatre, got my ticket and found a good seat. I was ready to enjoy myself for a few hours.

In those days, you saw lots of previews for movies to be seen at later dates, there was always a News Reel and finally the movie of choice. I was deep into the movie when a man sat down beside me. In the dark I didn’t pay too much attention until he put his hand on my leg……. “This is a good show, isn’t it?” he said. I was immediately frightened but didn’t answer him. Pretty soon, his hand went higher up on my leg and he started talking again…..I jumped up, prepared to run home as fast as my legs could carry me.

Once out in the lobby I stood at the half wall where I could see the picture. I wanted to see the movie but I saw the man looking around for me. Suddenly, my eyes spotted a seat between two people. Perfect!! I walked down the isle and slid down the row where I’d seen the seat. I scrunched down so I wouldn’t be recognized if he walked back to the lobby where he could scan the seating for me. In fact, that is exactly what he did, when I saw him he was standing there looking around. I sunk lower in my seat.

Once the movie was over I filed out of the building with a crowd of other kids and people……once outside, I began running and didn’t stop for two blocks. Breathless, I kept looking behind me, expecting him to run after me at any moment. Finally I reached home and safety.

My parents taught my brother and I as best they could about strangers and the dangers children could get into. Of course there wasn’t the publicity of child abuse back then but we both knew what was right and what was wrong about strangers. I escaped a very bad situation because I took action. Sadly, some children are too afraid or incapable of getting out while they still can.

I doubt there are very many children who grow up without a similar experience and if it only happens once, consider yourself lucky. I personally do not know anyone who grew up without some sort of mishap. The good thing about it is……it makes you smarter and more confident if it ever happens again.

In my bag of memories, this popped out today and I was thinking how rotten that man was to go to a “kid’s show” looking for a little girl to accost. I find little sympathy for his miserable life or for anyone who goes after innocent children. It’s sad to think that it’s much more prevalent today and the opportunities are difficult to define or stop. God help those people who spend their lives trying to keep American’s children safe.

The search for happiness goes in many different directions but in the movie, after looking everywhere else, the bluebird was found at home. It is usually true with all of us…….we may travel far but genuine happiness is not in a place.

It is found within.

Until next time, I am,
Essentially Esther