<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

ABOUT NAPOLEON..... 

Yesterday Becky put a picture on her blog of Napoleon that I took to let you see how his tail feathers have grown. In the sunlight he is breathtakingly beautiful. With his vivid colors glistening, he appears iridescent. If I had more experience watching peacocks I might not think him so wondrous but he is the only one I’ve ever been up close and personal to.

It amazes me how a creature like him can visualize what a human is trying to get him to do. Over the months of calling, offering food, keeping my distance so he doesn’t feel threatened…….he is as tame as a pet chicken. When I call, he comes running because he knows I have food for him. He is programmed to eat on our front walk, however, and if I take food anywhere else, he doesn’t give it his full interest. And he can be very independent at times but for the most part we operate on a schedule we both understand.

He has his own little dish on the walk and yesterday I fed him some canned cat food. Lovey, Chevy and Callie were close by and smelled “their” food being put in a dish. They ran over for it but Napoleon cocked his head and in one swing of his head, he pecked Callie………she was unfortunate enough to be the closest. That was enough to tell the cats he wasn’t sharing and they gave him space. It was so funny because they all buddy around together during the day and he goes in the garage to eat their food whenever he pleases……..it was a little humiliating to be pecked by him, and poor Callie slipped by him to pout. Can’t say as I blame her.

Rocky and I watch for him around dusk. He grazes here and there but about that time of day he comes to the front of our house. He peers in the windows as if to tell me he’s thinking of supper……and bed. So I take out his canned cat food in his own dish……and muffins, cake, bread…..whatever. He eats hungrily for a little bit and then goes around to the bird bath to drink. Rocky has small heaters in our bird baths……it’s such a treat for the birds, Napoleon and the cats all winter. Oh, I forgot the squirrels…..they drink from it each day also.

He comes back to polish off the last of his food and then grazes his way to his favorite tree. When it is almost too dark to see the limb he lands on, he lifts his huge wings, gives a shove with his strong legs and flies up about 30 feet before wending his way on higher for the night. We watch him settle comfortably and as the last sun disappears, he tucks his head beneath his wing.

It is the benediction of our day……..

Until tomorrow, I am,
Essentially Esther