<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

THE TOOLS OF CHRISTMAS..... 

At our house, it begins with the cards. Cards, stamps, address labels. Snapshots are nice (from the past year) or you can send e-cards if you prefer….or both, which “I” prefer. There are some very pretty ones either on Hallmark or American Greetings….both on line. I am loving many of the e-mails now being sent with nice stationery and music……very pleasant listening.

It is a labor of love to put a personal note in the cards and addressing the envelopes. In the age-old tradition I have sent and written for a lot of years…….now I am bothered with osteoporosis in my right hand and anything I do for any length of time becomes painful. Just like old people, though, I find when I’m knitting, crocheting or eating……my hand never hurts. Old age makes pain very selective.

Wrapping. Assuming the shopping is done…..even if sent by internet shopping there is always local things to wrap. Friends, neighbors and close-to-home relatives. OK, wrapping paper, bags, tissue, gift tags, Scotch tape, pen……I think will do it. I’m a pro at my age. I don’t need someone’s finger on the knot while I tie a bow.

Now I have mentioned before that I come from a long line of “gift wrap savers”….unless you are under 2 years of age, you must take the paper off carefully so as not to wrinkle it or tear ugly places where the tape has been. Tissue is a plus. Save that……and bows? Of course!! I have bags full. The saved paper and bags are used first……when they are gone, we start with the new. A little “tie-on” is nice if you have them……I like to use up old decorations on the gift for a little interest. OK………that’s done.

I’m betting the house has already been decorated inside and out……if not…..get busy. Time is flying. Be creative……you don’t have to spend a lot of money. Run out in the yard and pick up a few pine cones…..toss them in a crystal bowl and throw a silk poinsettia on top with a bow. I find the simple things are best…..a touch here and there…….presto! Done!!

Early baking was done but now it is time to make ALL the candy, cookies and yummies that have been proven over the years. Unfortunately, everyone I know or am related to is calorie counting….not eating sugar, fat, or other lists according to their ailments or newly acquired preferences. I don’t care. I will eat anything with a fat or sugar calorie so I stir and mix and bake until the day arrives.

Now wasn’t that easy? I’ve always heard any job is a piece of cake IF you have the right tools. I’ve given you a few personal insights to my tool-box and hope it was helpful….if not….turn on Martha Stewart for Pete’s sake………….


Laugh a little…it‘s better than medicine,
Essentially Esther