<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, December 01, 2006

STORM'S END..... 

I’m happy to report that the worst of the storm passed us by. We had heavy rain, sleet and freezing rain all of Wednesday night, Thursday and Thursday night. The power went off sometime after we went to bed….I woke around 2:00 in the morning and realized the house was dark, quiet and cold. No matter, our flannel sheets and home made quilt kept us nice and warm until the power came on again around 5:00. It was naturally a big relief to hear the furnace kick in and begin heating our little home.

We woke to snow in the daylight but just enough to cover the ground good. We missed the wind they predicted…..up to 30 mph which would have destroyed our pines. Becky’s took a big hit as hers were taller than ours and the weight of the ice broke them down around her yard. A couple of large birch branches were also on the ground. We’ll be able to haul them over to George’s lot between us and have a big bond-fire one of these days when it’s safe to burn. Most will survive.

Rocky left on schedule for the Powerlifting Meet in Nashville. He was riding with the coach and a couple of other guys……several carloads were following along and all will stay near the gym where the Meet will be. Rocky was feeling pretty good physically so I’m hoping he can do the lifts with full strength. This time he will be in a different weight and age category because he just had a birthday in November and he has lost some weight since he’s been taking chemo.

He has been looking forward to this and working-out in spite of feeling tired and sick at times……I think he should be rewarded with good “lifts” tomorrow. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

No sign of Napoleon all day. I’ve roamed our three yards looking for him but no sign. I’m concerned but I’m betting his natural instincts will direct him to the right shelter. I’ll let you know when he returns. Becky is concerned over her little Chucky also……haven’t seen him for a couple of days. We’re always on critter alert when one is missing.

I hope all your critters are in and safe. As cold and troublesome as bad weather is, it sure makes a beautiful landscape. The ice on the trees shown in rainbow colors and flashed like diamonds today…….I thought about taking some pictures and decided it would never be as beautiful as the real thing. The sun going down as I write is a rosy orange and the last rays are dancing off the ice……how I wish I could keep the scene but nature is constantly changing.

I made Christmas Fruit Cakes today for the holidays. It is a wonderful recipe that Barbara’s mother gave me after I tasted hers in their home one time. I always thought I didn’t like Fruit Cake but I found what I didn’t like was the citrine in so many bakery cakes. Mary only used candied cherries, candied pineapple, 2 quarts of pecans, and white raisins, basically…….mighty fine eating.

Once they are baked and ready they are carefully wrapped and stored in the refrigerator, then brushed with melted current jelly before serving on the cake plate. It is delectable. I make it in memory of Mary who died far too early in life of lung cancer. She was a lovely Southern lady.

Well what to my wondering eyes should appear…..but Napoleon!! He walked past the window where I am writing and went to the front door…….I hurried to get him some home-made bread and I threw in a chocolate chip cookie for good measure. He loved the cookie but it was the last one so he’ll have to wait for more of those. Every crumb was eaten with great relish. He likes to have me talk to him while he eats, then he goes to the bird bath for water, comes back to polish off the bread and will fly up in our oak tree very soon as the sun has dropped over the western sky now. I can rest easy tonight…my boy is home. Napoleon is worthy of any effort we make to care for him…..he is really special.

He just flew up…….. so night falls gently on us here.

I’ll post Rocky’s results as I get them tomorrow.

Until then,
Essentially Esther