<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Friday, December 15, 2006

LOOK FOR THE BEST..... 

“It’s a beautiful day in the Ozarks.” These were the opening words of May Kennedy McCord that I’ve quoted several times before. Back in the important communications of radio she came on every week-day morning and greeted us with her classic remark. She was listened to all over the Ozarks as she told her “old time” stories about events such as making molasses, picking blackberries etc; She held us for the 15 minutes or so with her soothing tone and interesting subjects. Her “sign off” was always the same as well…… “I’ll be back tomorrow if the Lord’s willin’ and the creeks don’t rise.”

As a person born and living in Nebraska the first 13 years of my life, the ways of the native Ozarks folks amazed me. We lived in a backwoods area with no electricity or any of the minimal comforts we left in Nebraska. My mom and dad loved it and “took” to the neighbors who came to call.

In those days it was extremely primitive but gloriously beautiful and unspoiled. I remember the winding roads, tree-lined with wooden or stone fences. The people were poor as “church mice” as mama used to say…..but they had a freedom and pride of the wealthy. It was a good lesson to me, that wealth is not what’s in your pocket…….it’s what is in your heart.

May Kennedy McCord was loved because she talked of the beauty and simple life in the Ozarks. I came to love and respect it and at times when something comes out of my mouth as a “native” I realize just how much I have become “them.” My brother-in-law, Richard, was “taken back” when in a phone conversation recently I told him I was about ready to “take supper up.” He repeated what I just said with a question mark…….and then I said…….”to serve”… We had a good laugh! Illinois is a far cry from the Ozarks.

In high school I stayed overnight with a girl friend occasionally and one evening her mother asked me to go to the cave and get some potatoes for her. My friend’s father went along and I began picking up the worst ones……..her dad said……. “Don’t get those, Esther, get the best ones.” I told him at home we always ate the ones that were going to spoil, first. I then got a lesson in life I’ve never forgotten…… He said, “but if you always eat the worst first, you always have the worst….if you always eat the BEST you always have the best.”

On the surface it sounds backwards to the way I was taught but in reality it’s a great way to look at Life. Mom always quoted a poem at home that qualified what Mr. Meade was saying. “Life is a mirror for king or peasant, It shows all we are and do, So give to life the best that you have, And the best will come back to you.”

I have had many mentors in my life for which I am very grateful. People who took time to give me their best………I thank you all.

Essentially Esther