<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, December 21, 2006

THE BEST GIFT IS YOU........ 

Shopping is done!! Wrapping will be a snap!! Baking is done!! Clean house? NO!! It’s time to think about that. George Jr. will arrive sometime on Saturday and I have a special supper planned for him. The boys don’t get home very often and when they do, I like to fix all their favorites. Hopefully John, Barb and LJ will be able to come when the weather is more predictable.

It was fun picking up stocking stuffers in WalMart today. For fun, George and Becky bring their stockings each year and we fill them……of course, Rocky and I hang ours up too, second childhood you know.

When I was a kid I could never figure how it was more fun to give than receive. I liked getting things and Christmas and Birthdays were about all we could look forward to. I couldn’t see how it would ever be more fun to give but as the years clicked by I began to understand it. I am always eager for people to see what their gift is and their reaction…….I love buying gifts or making them.

Most of us in our golden years like to receive simple gifts. We’ve pretty well had it all by now and we also know the drain it is on our younger family members to try and buy for everyone. There are so many practical things that don’t cost a lot and provide just as much pleasure.

For us, it’s the thought that counts. The thing that matters when you’re sitting on the sidelines is to be remembered. Smiles, hugs, letters, emails, someone who listens like they are really interested, a phone call…….old people can live a week on any of those. The stories that you’ve heard a hundred times……believe me, when you don’t hear them anymore you’d give anything to hear them just one more time.

There is a plaque in our kitchen that says, Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much. That pretty well says it all. Give from the abundance of your soul and just watch how it takes hold and grows…….so fast you have to work real hard to give it all away………

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther