<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, November 20, 2006

A QUICK UPDATE..... 

I’m happy to report there are no big changes in the lab work. We do not have the results of the MRI yet……that should be coming sometime this week. Rocky’s chemo was the same “recipe” as last time which gave him less bad side effects. It is a long day and very tiring to us both so I’ll be back in the morning after we’ve had some rest.

You never know who will show up in the Cancer Clinic. I was visiting with a mother whose 41-year old son was being treated for colon cancer that had metastasized and gone into his liver and hip bone. He was on crutches but in good spirits. Later this afternoon she came over where I was and told me I seemed familiar, and she was trying to place where she had seen me before.

After a few questions, we both realized she was working in one of the Court Houses our Driver’s Examiner crew worked each Monday. I used to stop by her office and visit a little……..she finally recognized me by my voice. It has been 10-years since we’ve seen each other and have both since retired…..she laughed and said if I were still in uniform she would have known me instantly. Well…..10-years has a way of changing us. We had a good laugh and she left with her son. I wish them well…..our days probably won’t connect again at the Clinic.

We are all like ships passing in the night……we meet one another and become acquainted with one another’s cancer story……then we may never see them again. I often wonder how their story turned out and it is sad to see several new patients each time we go…..all ages, all kinds of cancer and all manner of family members who come along. I commend the young women who take care of us all……they have a big job and they do it as grace under fire.

God has to have a special place in heaven for nurses………

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther