<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Monday, November 13, 2006

THE POWER OF WORDS..... 

Words are a funny thing. They can absolutely kill you, make you laugh, fall in love, incite to riot, lie/tell the truth alike, inspire……the list goes on and on. I would venture to say we all have reams of words from the past that speak to us.

I find the older I grow, more of the words from my parents come to mind. Advice I didn’t think much about at the time that somehow stuck. When I think of certain people, a cameo pops up with something they said that was memorable.

I have had good friends, acquaintances and people from all walks of life who have added to my knowledge and character; realistically speaking, I’ve also had some bad experiences where hurtful words landed and I routinely try to forget.

We can’t control what people say to us. The thing that scares me is most of us don’t control what we say to others. No one starts out in the morning thinking, “I want to say every mean thing I can think of to everyone I see today” but we all know people who seem to have that mindset. Before the day gets started some of those unkind words pop out ahead of us…..and then the day follows from bad to worse.

As a whole we interrupt others conversations and don’t listen enough. I guess that’s why some of us love to write…….we can do all the talking on the word processor and no one can get a word in edgeways. We are in control enough to erase words that don’t “play” right with what we want to say and the whole conversation is edited. Too bad it isn’t like that in open conversation……most of us would be sure to soften the language and tone of voice if we could do it over.

At times, it isn’t what is said, but the tone with which it’s said. That’s good and bad with writing because the “tone” never comes through. I’ve often heard it said that you learn a lot by listening and I believe it. In other’s conversations I can learn how to act and what not to say…….it is also true that action speaks louder than words. A picture is worth 1,000 words and that’s true but the action and picture will fade….words stick much tighter.

Knowing how adults took time for me growing up, who cared enough to steer me in the right directions…..and all the good influences that have enriched my life…..(thanks, Walt Disney) I give thanks. Because someone took a few minutes with me here and there I am a far better person than I would have been without them. Having good examples to follow are the best teachers……..and gratitude for having had that makes me want to give back. Words! used in the right way are very powerful.

Deciding to give back and following through can shape someone’s life, especially your own………..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther