<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

BAD WEATHER COMING..... 

Today the weather is the big news around here. The large mass of cold air moving down from the northwest is due to hit the warm soupy air coming up from the Gulf. From the looks of the weather map it should meet right over the top of us as the radical fronts collide.

Two things are of concern when you live in a mobile home…..an all electric mobile home. (I can see you’re already ahead of me.) Yes, the first thing is wind and the second is ice. In early Spring and late Fall we are prime targets for both. We have lost power a few times in the past 31 years that I’ve lived here but nothing we couldn’t survive for a few hours.

Thankfully Becky has a propane stove which works without power…..at least hot coffee and warm food makes the waiting better. I have enough candles around here to light up the county so I’ve taken note where they are and have gathered matches and flashlights etc; Becky was mid-State today at Jefferson City for meetings and hopefully she started home before the weather could follow her down.

I spent the day wrapping gifts to mail. I’m doing things as early as I can this year because we have quite a few medical appointments to make and I know the time will evaporate. As for cards, they will be electronic this year. Most of our family and friends have computers but those who don’t will get a card in the mail. It certainly isn’t my idea of a good old fashioned Christmas but I’ve always found when time is short, do the practical……it’s better than nothing at all. The tree that bends rarely breaks……

The forecast is for heavy rain, severe thunderstorms as the fronts merge, and then sleet changing to snow……expecting over a foot. After unusually warm weather, having doors and windows open for the last couple of weeks (on and off) the thermometer is to drop something like 40* by morning. Of course we hold hope the weatherman was drinking before that report and it will continue to be pleasant.

I was looking through my mother’s clippings……she always cut poems out of magazines or newspapers. I read one that was short and I couldn’t put away until I shared it. For those of you who knew my mother…..this is from her.

“Life itself can’t give you joy,
Unless you really will it;
Life just gives you time and space -
It’s up to you to fill it.”

…….and she did. Mom was a gentle spirit.

Until tomorrow (if we have power),
Essentially Esther