<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

WHEN WINNING IS RIGHT..... 

As they say, what a difference a day makes. So many of us were hoping Becky would do well on her test yesterday and she couldn’t have done better. It didn’t come easy as some like to brag but as a result of 20 years of dedicated work for a foundation and then preparation, preparation, preparation.

I compare it to John’s running. He didn’t wake up one day and decide to run a Marathon……..he began with one small step at a time, lots of reading, talking with other runners and what became years of preparation. What might have seemed insurmountable when he began, he can now click miles off with the strength of a Freight Liner. Amazing when you throw in the fact it is difficult for him to see the trail and was born with a club foot.

My oldest son, George was passed over many times for promotion, not because he didn’t do the work or know the work, but because it was politically correct to place someone else in the position. He would later train them for the job he knew so well. He stuck with it and in due time received the position. It wasn’t easy but it was right. Endurance is a decision devoid of ego……..

I am always for the under-dog….for the one who doesn’t win easily. Easy winning somehow lacks the competitive part of us that makes us better……something that takes every bit of mental and physical strength we have to be the best we can be, not to keep someone else from winning.

I love football, I do not love taunting. I enjoy many sports but when a race car bumps another to get ahead, causing it to go into a spin, it turns my stomach. Sports should showcase “sportsmanship.” Someone said, “Show me someone who doesn’t mind losing and I’ll show you a loser…….” but I say, “Show me someone who will cheat to win and I’ll show you a cheater.”

Any test we take is for our own personal merit. The only winners are those who do the work, play the game and win against all odds. When I’ve played with the best and done my best is when I find gratification. I may lose the prize but I’m still a winner.

Good work, Becky. I know it wasn’t easy and that just makes YOU better……..way to go, girl!!

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther