<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Thursday, October 12, 2006

HERO'S ARE AMONG US..... 

If I didn’t know before, I know that cancer is a crafty foe. When I became fascinated with Miss Ellen’s witty and humorous blogs……and her comments on other’s blog’s....then her eventual comments on my blog when I began…with her cancer return and all that has followed…YES!! I believe cancer is not a foe who plays by the rules. Rather we are left to play “catch up” with the constant changes, crooks and turns it takes inside our bodies where we can’t see what’s going on.

I became interested in Ellen because of her sheer determination to whip the evil competitor she faced and the fact she didn’t run scared ahead of it. We became friends over the ensuing months as we emailed each other back and forth where we could extend our conversations more than on a comment section.

Little did I know the encouragement I tried to send her, the eventual deep friendship and “adoption”……… that her cancer treatments and the side effects would soon become a guide for me to follow. When we discovered Rocky had colon cancer it was time for me to step up and act on the heartfelt words I had poured out to Ellen. Now was the time for all good reasoning to come to the aid of my own dear husband.

Without knowing it, Ellen’s journey through inroads of treatment and side effects has become valuable information …….. I can empathize with Curtis who loves her more than any man could……because I love Rocky more than any other human could. We have become meshed together in a literal fight to the death. Commonality is always a good teacher.

There will come a day when Ellen and Rocky will not be with us. Pity the loss! They are two unique people who love life, their families and their friends. They have been useful people, given much, asked for little. They are true hero’s and a good example for us to follow. I pray they will be given weeks, months, years to carry on with us that we might prosper as they show us the way.

Meantime, they fight, Curtis and I are in the fight and many of you are in it with us. If there is a lesson to be learned it has already been told. Enjoy each day as a gift, because it is. Don’t put off doing the right things or wishing for what you don’t need. Value the gift of health, love with all your might and let your light shine.

Don’t let the sun go down on your good intentions………..

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther