<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Essentially Esther Banner

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

ANOTHER SAD FAREWELL..... 

Many of you already know that Tuffy died on Monday. I haven’t been able to write until today……I don’t want it to be all about ‘me’ but rather all about Tuffy. Had I written the first two days it would have been my grief pouring out That isn’t fitting for such a brave little cat.

Tuffy came barging into my life September 17th, 1994. Becky and I were taking our walk with our usual companion, Boots. Boots was a very large sheep dog and gentle as the lambs she was born to protect but her breed is fearless and ferocious if an adversary appears……..she was sort of the neighborhood greeter……made her rounds routinely every day and knew all of our schedules. Many times I would be in the yard working, look up, and Boots would be sitting nearby , enjoying the company. She knew everyone’s walking schedule and accompanied several of us at different times. Boots belonged to a neighbor and has since died also.

We were walking several blocks from home that day and suddenly on a very busy stretch of road a little gray kitten came out of the weeds crying loudly. It made a bee line towards us and the huge size of Boots didn’t keep him from coming. He was on a mission for help and nothing was keeping him back. I said, “Oh oh…..hurry up Becky, there’s a little lost guy. If we don’t hurry up I’ll have to pick him up.” We stepped up the gait but the kitten struggled to keep up, winding in and out of my feet as I walked. Boots was getting very nervous and nuzzled the kitten with her nose, looking up at me like, “Do something…..he’s afraid and lost.”

I seemed to be the person of choice and I stood there a moment thinking of all the reasons I shouldn’t pick him up. I heard a car coming and I knew what would happen if we left him there……I couldn’t walk away without helping him. I picked him up and rubbed noses with him…….”I’m your new mama, kitty. Come on, Becky, I’m going to take him home.”

He earned his name, Tuffy, because he had to literally fight off Morris who was not happy having another male cat in the house. He liked being the boss cat and this intruder was not acceptable. After a few days Tuffy grew tired of the harassment and since he had claws and Morris didn’t…….the fight was soon over. Morris had new respect and the little 6 week old kitten was therefore named Tuffy.

It would be impossible to write of the long and happy relationship we enjoyed so I’ll just say he was a very special cat and definitely one of my favorites. Tuffy was always ‘my’ cat and claimed first in every way. I simply adored him.

We tried for a year to find the reason for his weight loss. We spent a lot of money and many trips to the Vet for symptoms, tests and hopefully answers. He always tested normal through it all. Yet after much weight loss he began throwing up anything he ate and it continued until he was fur over bones and he finally quit eating. I think he was just tired of it all and decided if he didn’t eat, he wouldn’t throw it back up.

The Vet told us some cats are just predisposed to “shut down” when they become a certain age and nothing stops it or explains it. They were always as confused as we were about how to treat him for his malady. Our clinic had an old Vet with a lot of experience……and a young Vet just a couple of years out of school. I figured their combined experience and fresh knowledge would find an answer but they couldn’t. Eventually any medicines they gave him came back up as quick as the food he ate so after that we didn’t hold much hope.

Tuffy lived out his last days at home, listening to the familiar sounds of the household and making his rounds each day as long as he had strength. He died on September 18th, 2006.…..just one day past the anniversary date he came bouncing into my life. I wanted to be with him when he died but it wasn’t to be. While Rocky and I were in Springfield for a medical appointment, Tuffy slipped away.

We dug his grave together as the sun hung low in the western sky and put our little friend next to the other pets we have lost. It was almost sundown when we finished but if the sun goes down where we are we know it will rise in the morning once more. Tuffy is free of earthly bonds and joins our other pets and family in a grand reunion. I believe that. God made all and will provide for all in death. We will celebrate his life and honor him in death.

TUFFY

September 17, 1994
September 18, 2006

Until tomorrow,
Essentially Esther